How do you bid removal of old wire on an add a level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerseydaze

How do you handle removing old wiring on a competitive bid on an add a level. Ive never worked for this company would like the job not sure if I should say " removal and re feeding of existing wiring t&m "

satcom

How do you handle removing old wiring on a competitive bid on an add a level. Ive never worked for this company would like the job not sure if I should say " removal and re feeding of existing wiring t&m "

T&M with this type of work, is just asking for problems, you are in New Jersey, so giving a total price contract should be easy, just remember when they add a level, most of the existing wiring is not used, so figure the demo time, and then plan a new wire for the new monster house, many EC's get taken to the gutter on these projects, they usually under bid them, and most GC's have the idea you can just do a little rewire work and use the existing wiring, so be careful not to be sucked in to a disaster.

satcom

The plans should be a great help in estimating the job, all the plans we review for these monster homes usually have plenty of details for existing and new.

macmikeman

The plans should be a great help in estimating the job, all the plans we review for these monster homes usually have plenty of details for existing and new.

Most plans I come across do not show much at all in the way of detail on demo.
I either get to swag at it or if I am lucky, we are allowed to visit the site first and somehow I get to use my x-ray vision to see inside the walls so I can determine all the rework I will have to do. Truth is it is a crapshoot most of the time, and for that part T+M would be a good way to handle it.
By the way, OP didn't mention "monster house", maybe its a 1200sq ft ...:)

satcom

Most plans I come across do not show much at all in the way of detail on demo.
I either get to swag at it or if I am lucky, we are allowed to visit the site first and somehow I get to use my x-ray vision to see inside the walls so I can determine all the rework I will have to do. Truth is it is a crapshoot most of the time, and for that part T+M would be a good way to handle it.
By the way, OP didn't mention "monster house", maybe its a 1200sq ft ...:)

Will not matter much, a raised cape or ranch, if he does not have a good plan set, he is most likely dealing with a wing it GC and the job will be a crap shoot.

cadpoint

Sounds real vague to me. Seems like alot of variables not described or even unknown.

Are you responsible for opening up the walls; do U only open enough to get to each staple? Will a replacement of the box per device be needed?
Who's responsible to the clean up of the punched holes or the framing bay? What if it's strayed insulation, or even particle and not mat insulation in the ceiling?

"Add a level", seems to imply that another floor addition and that would gut
everything on that floor anywas's. Then work on what can be touched in respects to the floor below.

Seems per item could be 1/8 to 1/4 more time for demo and roping... and thats probably low...

Seems you could ask around on the GC and get a read on what their like.
If your not use to this type of work with a comfortable number, then it's not for you... and the same has been said many times before here.

satcom

Sounds real vague to me. Seems like alot of variables not described or even unknown.

Are you responsible for opening up the walls; do U only open enough to get to each staple? Will a replacement of the box per device be needed?
Who's responsible to the clean up of the punched holes or the framing bay? What if it's strayed insulation, or even particle and not mat insulation in the ceiling?

"Add a level", seems to imply that another floor addition and that would gut
everything on that floor anywas's. Then work on what can be touched in respects to the floor below.

Seems per item could be 1/8 to 1/4 more time for demo and roping... and thats probably low...

Seems you could ask around on the GC and get a read on what their like.
If your not use to this type of work with a comfortable number, then it's not for you... and the same has been said many times before here.

Yes, vague is a good description, most of these jobs where they add a level, they have a decent print set, and that makes life easier for everyone, but every now and then a GC takes on one of these projects, and tries to wing the job, from paper napkin print, to a load of changes as they go, which will turn the job into a never ending dispute, and if it's a contract price, you will be waiting for ever to get paid if your paid at all, and it it's T&M every breath you take will be questioned, the reason we work the larger remod jobs, that have plans, and experienced GC's

Status
Not open for further replies.