How do you complete layout drawings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuruwawo

New User
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hi all,

As an one man band electrician I've never had much need to use CAD software but since expanding more into fire alarms and emergency lighting, employing another and doing bigger commercial projects Ive found more demand to be able to produce drawings and schematics for the client. I've struggled by using Microsoft word up to now (yes I can here you all laughing! 😄) but am thinking of investing in a basic software. Can anyone recommend anything? I've looked Microsoft Visio because I'm used to MS office but it does seem expensive considering I won't be using it all the time.

Thanks!

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I've been using Deltacad https://www.deltacad.com/ for a few decades now.

Originally i found it on CD in Kmart (remember Kmart?) in a bargain bin with a 'ages 5-7' sticker on it

I knew then i could handle it.....;)

~RJ~
Wow, for $40 you can skip the Frappuchinos for a week. Based on the claimed feature set, it should be perfect for a one-man-band. I, however, would have to somehow sneak this past She Who Must Be Obeyed.

Canton

Occupation
Electrician
Hi all,

As an one man band electrician I've never had much need to use CAD software but since expanding more into fire alarms and emergency lighting, employing another and doing bigger commercial projects Ive found more demand to be able to produce drawings and schematics for the client. I've struggled by using Microsoft word up to now (yes I can here you all laughing! 😄) but am thinking of investing in a basic software. Can anyone recommend anything? I've looked Microsoft Visio because I'm used to MS office but it does seem expensive considering I won't be using it all the time.

Thanks!
I was pretty much in the same boat a few years ago and use a handful of different programs. If you want to do one lines and actually make drawing sets you can use "Tiny CAD". Its free and easy to learn on and use.

You can also get a free trial of AutoCAD from auto desk if you want to use and learn on the Cadillac. I did full drawing sets on that for different customers for Solar and other project designs. What area of the electrical field do you mostly work in? There are other CAD software that I can recommend depending on what area you work in.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I was going to recommend Blubeam, but it would probably be too expansive for your application
The top package is $600 for a single seat. Compared to Deltacad, much more expensive, but you could, with a little effort, build all the blocks you need to do simple electrical drawings and they're already in PDF. On the other hand, if you really need a PDF program as well, you could kill two birds with one stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.