how do you teach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am wondering how and what you guys teach:

Start on article 90 then cover as much as you can in a semester time?

Teach specific topics: Conduit fill, box fill, grounding...

Teach topics specific to commercial or topics specific to dwelling?

I have been just covering topics starting from article 90 and try to cover as much as possible in a semesters time. But for next semester i like to change this routine and would like to know what you guys do.

Also teaching 3 hours a week is not enough time to cover material in detail. How many hours a week do you teach or think should be enough to cover material in detail.

Thanks for your time.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
To me, the NEC really starts with Art. 250.

I'd start with some basic electrical theory.

BILLY101

When I was an instructor (1979-1984) for 1st year apprentices the code was a part of the mix of things to present to the folks.
That experience taught me important things about how to use and help others learn how to use the Code.
While trying to help them understand the various specific problems presented with the code, like derating or tap rule, I tried to allow the students to think of the code as a reference that they can learn to access as needed and not to try to memorize the specifics except for some of the most often used requirements.
Learn how to utilize the code as any tool in your pouch.

BILLY

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Learn how to utilize the code as any tool in your pouch.

BILLY

I agree with you, and i tell my class that with some exceptions you can't memorize the code, you need to learn how to navigate through the book, understand the tables and how to look up material.

brian john

Who and what are you teaching.

Apprentices or those wishing to take a JW or Masters test?

Code class or electrtical classes covering a bit of the NEC?

Makes a big difference.

renosteinke

I teach as part of an organized apprenticeship program. As such, the program has specific topics that are covered in a specific sequence. I follow the syllabus to a T. Then the fun begins.

First off, I supplement the book learning with real hardware and actual demonstrations. It's one thing to discuss 'impedance' and another to show it in action.

There's plenty of room for 'real world' topics as well. If I'm working on a lift station at the time, the students will get introduced to pump controls. On nicer evenings, I've been known to pull various equipment off the truck and let them see how I have addressed various jobsite issues. For example, my charcoal-powered PVC bender or the toilet seat that snaps atop a 5-gallon bucket.

Probably the most important thing is the tone I set at the beginning of the term. I make it clear that I am NOT their parents, a feudal lord, or -for that matter- infallable and perfect. I assert that we are all adults, and that I expect everyone to behave accordingly. I treat them with respect- and rejoice when someone catches an error I've made. I tell them that I expect them to have done the chapter and exercised in advance - so we can identify areas where we need to focus.

bphgravity

I begin every course or class with history of the subject matter and then conclude with a "future" look at the subject. So in the example of a grounding and bonding class, I like to tell the history of grounding and bonding in the US and the NEC, then do all the practical and current code stuff, and then end with new or upcomming code change.

It's nice way to cover the topic in my opinion.

I am finding the best format for teaching a class is to follow the code as you would be wiring a structure instead of the order of the Chapters. So after all the Article 90, 100, and 110 stuff is covered, I move to services, then to feeders, then to branch circuits. In between, I cover the Article 240 and 250 stuff as it applies to the particular portion of the wiring system. I then plug in all the Chapter 3 stuff and end with the Chapter 4 stuff. Chapter 5, 6, 7, and 8 topics are covered on an individual basis, but not until 1-4 is fully reviewed.

That would be my suggestion...

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Who and what are you teaching.

Apprentices or those wishing to take a JW or Masters test?

Code class or electrical classes covering a bit of the NEC?

Makes a big difference.

Every semester i will get 2-3 that have been in the trade for a while, the rest are apprentices and others(home owners, career changers, handymen...)
The class is on the NEC only, 3 hours a week. I have been trying to make it a 5-6 hour class per week but there is politics within our department and within college departments, so i haven't been able to make it a 2 day class.

I begin every course or class with history of the subject matter and then conclude with a "future" look at the subject. So in the example of a grounding and bonding class, I like to tell the history of grounding and bonding in the US and the NEC, then do all the practical and current code stuff, and then end with new or upcomming code change.

It's nice way to cover the topic in my opinion.

I am finding the best format for teaching a class is to follow the code as you would be wiring a structure instead of the order of the Chapters.
That would be my suggestion...

That is a great idea. I have been thinking of covering all of the section that will cover a dwelling installation. At least this way they have a good understanding of what codes apply to dwelling.

renosteinke

To go a step beyond my earlier post ...

If you're developing a curriculum, I reccomend the NCCER program, whose books are available from Prentice-Hall. Four books, intended for four years of study - but were an employer to sponsor a year-round program with a handful of students, it's quite possible to cover the material in two years.

Using an established program also allows for better documentation of the training.

I'd suggest two classes a week, of two hours each, with a small group.

In addition to the course materials, I had great success "designing" a house with the students. Indeed, I also 'designed' a retail outlet and a light industrial location with them. If I have the chance, I'll toss in a warehouse as well. Let me elaborate ...

Each of the examples started, at the beginning of the term, with the floor plan of an existing place. Then, with each section we studied, we applied the things we learned to the "customers." In turn, we covered the various circuits, the different types of loads, service calculations, etc. The examples allowed us to explore things like back-up generators, step-down transformers, motor controls, and detached buildings.

Such a format also allows the instructor to highlight the way various code changes have influenced wiring design over the years. (Remember when AFCI's were for bedrooms only? :D )

REMEMBER: You're teaching the trade - and not the NEC. The NEC is only a tiny part of the trade. Ours is a trade where we BUILD things. There are other codes and other considerations to learn. For example, the students need to learn how to anchor to different materials, how to patch walls, and how to make holes. They need to learn marking and layout. They need to learn to operate the equipment. Etc.

Last edited:

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
I spend less time on code on more on fundamentals. I am not saying this is the best idea but this is what I am asked to teach since the course I teach is part of a "Building Trades" program at a community college.

I start at the very basice and go all the way through to a resi service calc. I go very shallow and broad. Again not the best but the course is an Intro course and not designed for apprenticeship.

I have some who are in the field and then some DIY'rs. If you would like to see my sylabus PM me and Ill send it to you. The books we use is as follows.

largeBELWRES.jpg

My last instructor was very heavy on codes. 20 question code quiz every day. I would find them but not really remember them. After a while he started letting us wire away, then point out the infraction(s). We were to find the reference then fix it. I started remembering them pretty quick after that!

gndrod

Aside from basic fundamentals, I tend to agree with Larry and Bryan on emphasizing grounding and bonding to set a mental impression on the differences between commercial conduit and dwelling rope installation bonding. Article 250 is probably the most misunderstood area of interpretation for integrating equipment fault correction and electrode systems applications in both beginning study and later advanced cross-over courses from inside to wireman specialties.

Minuteman

For my 2nd year apprentices. We use ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS Michael I Callanan, Bill Wusinich

9780826917454-2T.jpg

• Services
  • Conductors and Overcurrent Protection
  • Grounding
  • Wiring Methods
  • Wiring Materials - Raceways and Boxes
  • Wiring Materials - Switches, Switchboards, and Panelboards
  • Equipment for General Use
  • Motors, Generators, A/C and Refrigeration, and Fire Pumps
  • Transformers
  • Special Locations

I supplement the curriculum with MH's Understanding The NEC