How far inside a house can you mount a Loadcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrancisDoody

I am having a hard time locating the article that deals with the distance a panel can be mounted inside the house. I have a revamp job and the orginal loadcenter was mounted about 8 feet in along the back wall of the cellar. The meter socket is on the south side of the house and the loadcenter is on the west side. Is six feet the maximum with out having overcurrent protection located in the meter socket.

Thanks,
Fran

hess

Re: How far inside a house can you mount a Loadcenter

different areas have different requirements.
the state of tenn. will allow 2 feet.

[ May 10, 2005, 09:31 PM: Message edited by: hess ]

john m. caloggero

See Section 230-70(A) Location: It is allowed either outside the building or inside the building nearest the point of entrance of the conductors into the building. In your installation, you may have to run the service conductors on the outside of the building and then penetrate the outside wall near the location of the service panelboard.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

See Section 230-70(A) Location: It is allowed either outside the building or inside the building nearest the point of entrance of the conductors into the building. In your installation, you may have to run the service conductors on the outside of the building and then penetrate the outside wall near the location of the service panelboard.
John is correct. Another option would be to install the service disconnect OCPD in an enclosure on the outside adjacent to the meter and then you could run a feeder any distance on the inside. The panel on the inside would now be considered a subpanel and would require, among other things, a separation of the grounded and grounding conductors.

celtic

I have a panel that is 5' in...the AHJ will allow it ONLY if I RGS it in. This is in NJ.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Celtic,

I just did a service in NJ where I had the panel about 6' in to avoid the sump pit that the GC put where my panel should have been. Inspector came in and immediately said that it was no good. What he failed to realize is that the main was outside next to the meter. He inspected the inside first!

charlie

Most AHJs in the central part of Indiana permit 10 ft. The Code says outside or inside nearest the point of entrance. I have heard as far as 20 ft being permitted in some areas but I would hate to be sitting on the witness stand trying to defend my position after a fire. But, your honor, the inspector said . . . :eek:

allenwayne

since it is a retro fit then using the underslab provision is apparently not an option,I agree use the 3r disconnect next to the meter,isolate grounds and neutrals and you can locate the interior panel anywhere as long as the location is code compliant.At this point distance isn`t a poco issue or a NEC issue ;)

jimwalker

They make what i call a trailer panel .It is one piece meter can ,panel with main and 8 circuits.Might be an easy way out.From this panel run subs as needed.

electricmanscott

If you are in need of a disco outside a meter/main combo is the way to go. It will look better than a meter and separate disconnect.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

Originally posted by infinity: Another option would be to install the service disconnect OCPD in an enclosure on the outside adjacent to the meter and then you could run a feeder any distance on the inside.
Originally posted by paul: 15ft here in WA. . . .
Combining these two gives another option (using the WA restriction, that is). You can install a disconnect inside the building and within 15 feet of the point at which the service conductors penetrate the building. Then you can run a feeder any distance from that point to the panel.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician

Charlie B,

I would agree that your method is another option. Only problem that I see is that if you couldn't find a suitable space for the panelboard on the inside than you may have the same problem locating the main.

ryan_618

Originally posted by charlie:
Most AHJs in the central part of Indiana permit 10 ft. The Code says outside or inside nearest the point of entrance. I have heard as far as 20 ft being permitted in some areas but I would hate to be sitting on the witness stand trying to defend my position after a fire. But, your honor, the inspector said . . . :eek:
I think that is a great point Charlie.

volt101

For me, its case by case.

For residential its one thing, for commercial its another. For instance a 480v 2000a service enclosure that is freestanding in the center of an electrical room compared to a 240v 100a in a basement, two totally diferent measurments.

Is it plain and simple, the nearest point
OR
Is it the first readily accessible location that is inside nearest the point?

"If you keep stretching it, it will break"

Jim

celtic

Originally posted by infinity:
Celtic,

I just did a service in NJ where I had the panel about 6' in to avoid the sump pit ...
I approached the AHJ with a drawing of the area...
3438%3A%3A2723232%7Ffp7%3Enu%3D3254%3E997%3E575%3EWSNRCG%3D323288646%3B%3C39nu0mrj

...as I have a doorway that leads directly to the face of the panel...he said he would allow it to run the 5' in RGS (I think I posted this picture before???)

Just out of curiosity...what utili. co and did you use a meter main?

[ May 12, 2005, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: celtic ]

amptech

In my part of Central Indiana the rule is 6'. The two electrical utilities got together years ago and decided on that distance and everyone goes along with it. I know some other areas of this state allow up to 10' providing the conductors are in 10' of rigid with no joints. I can see the reasoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.