How high conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhsting

Occupation
Junior plan reviewer
I thought railroads are not covered by NEC but plans show overhead service conductors rail track going over 10 feet. Is their anything in NEC that says anything about this?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
See 230.24(B)(5) in the 2017 code, however, if they are service drop conductors they are not covered by the NEC. They would be covered by the NEC if they are overhead service conductors. Service drop conductors are on the line side of the service point and overhead service conductors are on the load side of the service point.

mivey

NESC will give minimum standard height. However, when you apply for the railroad crossing permit, the railroad will tell you what they require.

See 230.24(B)(5) in the 2017 code, however, if they are service drop conductors they are not covered by the NEC. They would be covered by the NEC if they are overhead service conductors. Service drop conductors are on the line side of the service point and overhead service conductors are on the load side of the service point.

Not seeing a 230.24(b)(5) in 2014, must have been added in the 2017. Is the wording the same as in the 225 article?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Service conductors over rr tracks would require an easement from rr. Just make a note on plans to that effect. Around here rr easements are difficult and time consuming.

beanland

The National Electric Safety Code describes the required height for utility-owned conductors (service drops) above the ground including over roads, parking lots and railroad tracks. See NESC Rule 232.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I thought railroads are not covered by NEC but plans show overhead service conductors rail track going over 10 feet. Is their anything in NEC that says anything about this?
I agree with the others here. You have to call and apply for an easement over the tracks, and the owners of the RR line will tell you how high you have to be, if your allowed to go overhead at all. They may require it to be bored under the tracks.
if so, they will tell you how deep it has to be.
Anyone can draw something on a plan, it means nothing over RR tracks, highways, etc..

I agree with the others here. You have to call and apply for an easement over the tracks, and the owners of the RR line will tell you how high you have to be, if your allowed to go overhead at all. They may require it to be bored under the tracks.
if so, they will tell you how deep it has to be.
Anyone can draw something on a plan, it means nothing over RR tracks, highways, etc..
I'm not really disagreeing, but I believe OP is a plan reviewer and just needs to approve or reject with a code section. It appears 230.24(b)((5) is that section. I agree with Tom prolly would put a note in there saying easement likely required and subject to approval by Casey Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.