How many ground rods

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've been having a little dissagreement at the office. If someone was to run a feeder to a detached building, with no grounding electrodes. Would you reguire them to drive 2 rods if they didn't want to prove the resistance of one rod is less than 25 ohms. This "discussion" has been going on for years in the office. I've noticed in the past couple years that Mike has added to his pictures a second rod when he shows it.

A/A Fuel GTX

Occupation
Electrician
Two rods are becoming the norm......it's easier to drive the second rod than trying to prove the first rod meets the 25 ohm requirement.

bphgravity

I wouldn't require the second rod unless it has been engineered or written up that why on the submitted plans.

If this is not specified on the plans and the contractor has only driven one rod, I will assume he is in compliance with Section 250.56 since the second rod is not present. It is the contractors responsibility to ensure the section has been met based on the performance of the first ground rod, not mine as the inspector.

What's most important is that you consult with the local AHJ to learn their specific requirements on this matter. Most are simply looking for two rods, and I think that is fair. If you only drive one and they request a second or verified test of the first, I also feel they are justified to do so.

I personally think it is a waste of time and of such litte importance, other more pressing issues should be getting all the attention this one section seems to get.

Status
Not open for further replies.