How many lights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

newt

30 by 60 morton 10 foot high cielings white tin. I was goig to put 8 2 lamp high output lights.

peter d

newt said:
30 by 60 morton 10 foot high cielings white tin. I was goig to put 8 2 lamp high output lights.

Sure, go ahead. You don't need our permission. :)

But that doesn't seem like nearly enough lights. And I would not even waste one second with high output lights in this day and age. Use T-5 or T8 "T bays."

And I don't know what a "morton" is but I'm guessing it's a brand of a metal building?

James@CHA

Consult the IESNA or similar publication to determine acceptable footcandle and uniformity numbers. THen figure out how many lights you need to meet the criteria.

Minuteman

Does this Morton Building have any sunlight panels? At what height will you mount the lights. What kind of work? (Welding and auto mechanic or some sort of work requiring up close detail?) Is this building for a commercial business with multiple work stations, or a privet shop/storage building at home?

Most importantly; how much money is there for lighting? :D

peter d

newt said:
Work shop I have seen t5 I heard the are pricey

They are about $125 each for a 4 lamp T5 fixture. The price includes 4 lamps. That's a lot more money that a regular 8' with a HO brick ballast in it, but lately I've been ripping down a lot of 8' lights and replacing them with T-Bays, so to install them new does not make a bit of sense to me.

newt

Its just awork shop (farm) heated wide open. I thought t8 4ft tandems 2 rows of 5 and one row of 4 in middle.

donselectric

i wouldnt use less then 12 and that will prob not be enough.
you'd be surprised when a couple pieces of equip is in there
how much light gets eaten up.
jmo...

Pullnwire

Occupation
Electrician, Business Owner, SME and Trade Instructor
t5 all the way

t5 all the way

I have been installing the t5 on a 16x16 to 20x20 grid with great results. so you would need 6 as a guess. try e-conolight.com. 75$ each!

cschmid

Use some really dpendable lights like the T-8 or T-5 I would use T-8 as they are easily found any where..make sure you install lots of outlets as task lighting is going to be needed..dirty tractors / equipment absorb lots of light you will never get it so you can see with out task lights..diesel equipment will turn that bright white into dark gray real quick..if you want to make them happy buy some really good work lights on cord reals and extension cords on cord reals and install them..

Status
Not open for further replies.