How Many Outlets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Lets say I have a standard 4" sqaure box with a single-gang plaster ring installed. I have one outlet.

If I remove the single-gang plaster ring, replace it with a two-gang plaster ring, do I now have 2 outlets?

Same for single-gang or multi-gang boxes. Does each point that a device can be attached constitute an outlet? :confused:

G

Re: How Many Outlets?

San Francisco AHJ refers to them as "openings". The permit fees are based on the number of openings. For instance one inspection on five openings or less might be $100. If that's what you're getting at, I'd say no matter how big the plaster ring, it's still only one opening.

An example: I do a job in San Francisco that involves a 3-gang plaster ring with three wall switches; a 4-0 box for a wall sconce; two 4-0 boxes for overhead lighting: That's four openings and slips in under the minimum permit fee. If I put in a 5-gang plaster ring and five switches instead of the 3-gang, it would still be four openings.

Or, if I upgrade a 3-gang to a five-gang it would still be one opening for that box.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

The possible number of devices are not outlets, you might be installing a dryer receptacle in a two gang box or ring.

The number of outlets would be the number of "outlets" per article 100.

Roger

stew

I understand the theory behind th 10/13 rule but am curious about one other thing. On a 20 am resi circuit we see 15 amp outlets installed on 20 amp breakers. How about 20 amp outlets on 15 amp breakers? Allowed or not?

ryan_618

Originally posted by stew:
I understand the theory behind th 10/13 rule but am curious about one other thing. On a 20 am resi circuit we see 15 amp outlets installed on 20 amp breakers. How about 20 amp outlets on 15 amp breakers? Allowed or not?
See table 210.21(B)(3)

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

No, see table 210.21(B)(3)

You slipped in there Ryan. :)

Roger

[ May 13, 2004, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: roger ]

hforney500

Why do you ask?

1) Do you want to know the inspection fee?

or

2) Do you want to know the number of outlets you can put on a circuit?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Outlet. A point on the wiring system at which current is taken to supply utilization equipment.
Receptacle Outlet. An outlet where one or more receptacles are installed.
First is appears that some posters in this thread are confused as to what an "outlet" is.
Second it appears to me that based on the definition of "receptacle outlet", that you can install multiple devices(receptacles) at a single "outlet"
Don

bphgravity

No confusion here.

I've asked the question because in Mike Holt's Understanding the NEC, page 84, Figure 220-9, he describes a two-gang plaster ring as being two outlets and a single-gang ring as being one.

I found this to be odd and wanted some opinions. It appears Mr. Holt is the confused one? ;)

electricmanscott

I am talking about the original question. Does not seem to make sense to me. I never thought of each opening for a device as an outlet. If a duplex receptacle was insatlled in a single opening I think of that as two outlets.

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Doesn`t it come down to how many yokes there are ??? A 20 amp duplex with split tabs is in essence 2 single devices but in box fill it`s still counted as 2 wires.So a dryer receptacle is still counted as 2 wires but takes 2 spaces.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Allen, devices, wires, and spaces are not questioned.

Roger

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

It still goes by the yoke of the device.You could break the tabs on a duplex and utilize two circuits.but still count as 2 wires in box fill.A flushrange/dryer recep takes 2 spaces but has one yoke still 2 wires.In outlets two different things break the tabs and feed seperatly then 2 outlets as per 100 but still one device,If done have to have breakers tied together.

Status
Not open for further replies.