How many wires can be spliced together?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davedottcom

I was doing some demo work, ripping out old work from some hack that was splicing about (10) #12's with blue wire nuts and it got me thinking...

What is the Maximum number of wires permitted to be spliced together in one connection?

For instance, I looked at the instructions for the blue wire nuts, the most it can handle is (6) #14 's.

Is there any other means of splicing that would allow more than (6) wires? (Any gauge)

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about some kind of terminal strip that has multiple connections, I'm talking about (1) connection for multiple wires.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
For instance, I looked at the instructions for the blue wire nuts, the most it can handle is (6) #14 's.
I think that your answer is right there. Whatever the manufacturer of each size (color) of wire nut states, on the package, that that wire nut can handle, the NEC will say that that is the limit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You're limited by the listing of the product that you're using to splice the conductors. One thing is for certain, you can't use a split bolt which I've seen done many times. You could just make separate groups of splices with a jumper in between made of the same size conductor.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I did a quick check of the data sheets on some of the larger twist-ons (grey, blue) and was surprised to find, on the ones I checked, that although they took combinations of larger wires, they still limited #12s to 5 or 6 wires.

davedottcom

That's what I figured Charlie but you never know what someone will come up with in here!

I didn't know if there was a larger wire nut or something else out there or not.

Unless there is something else, I guess we could say the maximum number of conductors permitted to be spliced together is 6. (The 6 wire rule!) :grin:

davedottcom

Guys...I know you have to use the maunfacturers instructions!
Geeze, what am I knew here!? :D

I'm not trying to figure out how many wires of different sizes are permitted or how many wires I can splice in a specific wirenut.

I'm just wondering what is the MAXIMUM number of wires EVER permitted to be spliced together & what is the means used.

So far, 6 is the MAX, when using a blue or Grey wire nut.

davedottcom

I did a quick check of the data sheets on some of the larger twist-ons (grey, blue) and was surprised to find, on the ones I checked, that although they took combinations of larger wires, they still limited #12s to 5 or 6 wires.

That's what I'm talking about! :)

But do they list more than 6 wires for smaller gauges or is #12 the smallest gauge permitted to be used with the grey wire nut?

kwired

Electron manager
I was doing some demo work, ripping out old work from some hack that was splicing about (10) #12's with blue wire nuts and it got me thinking...

What is the Maximum number of wires permitted to be spliced together in one connection?

Is there any other means of splicing that would allow more than (6) wires? (Any gauge)

Keep in mind, I'm not talking about some kind of terminal strip that has multiple connections, I'm talking about (1) connection for multiple wires.

By how many conductors did he overfill the box this was in? Not too often there is a need for that many conductors to be connected and when there is you usually are already in an enclosure large enough that you could use terminal strip of some type.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not to hijack a thread but it is amazing to me that you can put 6 or 6 wires under the large blues yet almost all split bolts are listed for 2 wires. Why? Sounds absurd to me.

davedottcom

Kwired, yes, they were WAY overfilled! But I'm not talking about that!

I'm talking about the maximum number of conductors permitted to be spliced in (1) connection in any situation, any gauge, any means.

So far the (6)-wire rule still stands!

I guess I should have worded the original question differently...

How about this:

Is there any means of splicing conductors together into (1) connection that would permit more than (6) conductors?

iwire

Staff member
Dave I have no idea what you are asking about. :confused:

There is no maximum, if a manufacture makes a connector and gets it listed for 27 10 AWGs the NEC would allow it.

I recently used a wire connector that spliced seven 600s together.

kwired

Electron manager
Kwired, yes, they were WAY overfilled! But I'm not talking about that!

I'm talking about the maximum number of conductors permitted to be spliced in (1) connection in any situation, any gauge, any means.

So far the (6)-wire rule still stands!

I guess I should have worded the original question differently...

How about this:

Is there any means of splicing conductors together into (1) connection that would permit more than (6) conductors?

I pretty much understood your question from the start, just added a little of my own commentary.

I don't always pay attention to the wire combinations per individual product but when you reach a certain point with any of them you:

1. have trouble just making it up

2. have conductors that are in the center of the bundle that most likely do not a have good mechanical connection even if pre twisted.

any time I install a twist on connector, after finished I always hold on to the connector and pull each conductor individually. If any of them pull out they were likely to fail at some time down the road and I just saved myself a possible call back.

The more conductors in the connector the more likely I will have one pull out - even if the connector has a listed quantity of conductors in it.

davedottcom

On second thought, I just looked at the WAGO Wall-Nut thing. I wouldn't consider that (1) splice. It is actually (8) connections in (1) Wall-Nut.
That's not any different than a terminal strip except for it's a stab-in type instead of screw terminals.

I officially disqualify the wall-nut! Sorry Augie!

It's back to 6!

growler

Can you come up with ANY situation where you are permitted to splice more than (8) wires together in any (1) connection? (NO Terminal strips or multiple connections)

I can't even think of any situations where you would want to. A wire nut is usefull but there are some things it just wasn't designed to do. That's when you switch over to something that was designed for the specific use ( terminal strip or multiple connector ).

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I quickly scanned Bob's link, so I may have overlooked some possibilities, but:

None of the wirenuts could handle more than 6 of any single size conductor. I didn't look for a combination of more than 6 of different gauges.

For crimped connections, the NC-8 can handle 12 #18 stranded. 2011S can handle 11 #14 stranded, or 10 #14 solid.

Cheers, Wayne

davedottcom

I can't even think of any situations where you would want to. A wire nut is usefull but there are some things it just wasn't designed to do. That's when you switch over to something that was designed for the specific use ( terminal strip or multiple connector ).

LOL, I agree! But I was wondering if there was some kind of other means, like a split bolt that would permit more than 6 conductors, before a "Multiple Connection" is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.