How much is the going rate for a company using your administrators license?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryanspokane

Occupation
01 electrician
I cant find a straight forward answer for this question anywhere. I work for a company (7 years now) and the old admin left, so they approached me about using my license. I work as a JW, run a few smaller jobs here and there. So I am curious what the current "going" rate is for this. I've heard numbers all over the place. Between 50-2000 a month, foreman pay- gf pay, company truck, etc. Does anyone have any input?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
You need to be very, very careful using this phrase:
. . . they approached me about using my license.
The simple answer is that they can't, and you can't allow it. It's illegal, and could cost you your license and a fine.

The words to avoid are "using my license." For a company to do electrical contracting in Washington State, they must have one, and only one, person designated as the company's Electrical Administrator. That designation must be made in a formal manner, such as a declaration by the Board of Directors, and must be reported to WA Labor & Industries. That person takes on certain responsibilities, such as ensuring compliance with codes, state laws, and safety requirements. If that person is you, then you become responsible. How would you carry out your duties with regard to those responsibilities? You can't just tell the company to put your name on the form, then collect a few extra bucks from time to time, go about your work days as you have been doing for seven years, and expect to be able to say "it wasn't my fault because I wan't there at the time" when something goes wrong.

If the company wants to assign you that role, then you have to undertake that role. It's not a "in name only" thing.

By the way, I have been an 01 (General) Electrical Administrator in Washington State for over a decade. But I have never undertaken that role. I took the test and I keep the license current only because it gives me a bit of extra credibility, when I discuss my designs with electrical contractors.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Having held an Administrator's License in Washington State years ago, I concur 100% with what Charlie B said. It is basically an act of fraud being perpetrated in your name. The only just way for them to handle it is to make you a partner in the business, with a complete equitable share in the profits based upon you assuming all of the regulatory and professional risk (I'm going to assume they have all of the financial risk). I had a very similar situation; my partner was the "money guy", I was the license holder. We split the net profits 50-50. If they scoff at that idea, they are trying to rip you off.

Ryanspokane

Occupation
01 electrician
You need to be very, very careful using this phrase: The simple answer is that they can't, and you can't allow it. It's illegal, and could cost you your license and a fine.

The words to avoid are "using my license." For a company to do electrical contracting in Washington State, they must have one, and only one, person designated as the company's Electrical Administrator. That designation must be made in a formal manner, such as a declaration by the Board of Directors, and must be reported to WA Labor & Industries. That person takes on certain responsibilities, such as ensuring compliance with codes, state laws, and safety requirements. If that person is you, then you become responsible. How would you carry out your duties with regard to those responsibilities? You can't just tell the company to put your name on the form, then collect a few extra bucks from time to time, go about your work days as you have been doing for seven years, and expect to be able to say "it wasn't my fault because I wan't there at the time" when something goes wrong.

If the company wants to assign you that role, then you have to undertake that role. It's not a "in name only" thing.

By the way, I have been an 01 (General) Electrical Administrator in Washington State for over a decade. But I have never undertaken that role. I took the test and I keep the license current only because it gives me a bit of extra credibility, when I discuss my designs with electrical contractors.
Obviously I would accept the role that comes along with it. Dealing with the permits/inspections are things I am all ready doing.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I don't like this "using" a license idea either. This kind of thing is pretty common in a lot of industries but is a potential mess for the license holder who does not actually make sure whatever he is supposed to do gets done.

Years ago there were doctors in Illinois who allowed others to issue prescriptions in their name. It was pretty common in fact until the DEA realized a handful of such people were issuing large numbers of scripts for narcotics.

I don't know if there are any legal requirements for a position in the company, or what the potential risks are, but I would look at that real close first. You might also want to look at your potential liability in case something you signed off on goes south. You may not be covered by the company liability insurance if you are not an employee or principal.

Beaches EE

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Facilities Manager
OP, far be it for me to tell you what to do but you might want to consult with an attorney.

Status
Not open for further replies.