How often to update RSMeans cost estimating books

Status
Not open for further replies.

squirm

Is it practical to update RSMeans costs estimating books/software every year as recommended? It is sometimes hard to justify the costs of new books or software when it's only a year old. I haven't seen large swings in prices of labor/material at our location.

How often do you update your software/books?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Is it practical to update RSMeans costs estimating books/software every year as recommended? It is sometimes hard to justify the costs of new books or software when it's only a year old. I haven't seen large swings in prices of labor/material at our location.

well, you could just keep bidding with old numbers till the amount
you leave on the table exceeds the cost of the upgrade... :p

Deborah Reale

Reply to - How often to update RSMeans cost estimating books

Reply to - How often to update RSMeans cost estimating books

Bob Mewis, Director of Engineering from RSMeans Company, answered your question as follows:

In my opinion, estimating is the life blood of the construction industry. The raw materials, talented trades? people and powerful machinery all depend upon a reliable estimate. One of the most important parts of an estimate is information.

RSMeans cost data books, compact discs and online data provide consistently up-to-date cost information.

The cost vs. value ratio for this information could exceed that of many other purchases. The cost to your company of an estimate with old information could be disastrous.

If you have any other questions give us a call
800.424.3996, or email me. We'd love to hear from you.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety

If you are only bidding electrical work, the on-line package is $180/yr. All your bids are kept on line, and you can access them wherever you have a connection to the Internet. Is $180/yr really that big an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.