How to convert 480V, 60Hz to 400V, 50Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.

elec_eng

I have an European equipment that operate at 400V, 50Hz at a reserch facility. It is a a radio pharmacy equipment called, Cyclotron. A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator in which charged particles accelerate outwards from the center along a spiral path. Not exactly sure what this equipment consists of, probably a motor??

Now, the building voltage is 480V, 60Hz. Chaging the voltage is easy. I can provide a step down transformer. But how do I change the frequency to 50Hz? Can I simply install a frequency converter along with a step down transformer? Is this a even a good approach?

or Can I use a VFD for this application? The equipment consumes about 600KVA of power. Not even sure a VFD is available (or phase converter fo that matter) for 600KVA rating.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I have an European equipment that operate at 400V, 50Hz at a reserch facility. It is a a radio pharmacy equipment called, Cyclotron. A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator in which charged particles accelerate outwards from the center along a spiral path. Not exactly sure what this equipment consists of, probably a motor??

Now, the building voltage is 480V, 60Hz. Chaging the voltage is easy. I can provide a step down transformer. But how do I change the frequency to 50Hz? Can I simply install a frequency converter along with a step down transformer? Is this a even a good approach?

or Can I use a VFD for this application? The equipment consumes about 600KVA of power. Not even sure a VFD is available (or phase converter fo that matter) for 600KVA rating.

normally done with a motor generator or MG set.

go here:

http://www.georator.com/ProductRotaryMotorGenerator.html

you are probably looking at a 1 megawatt capacity, depending on the power factor of the load.
dunno if those guys go that big..... but if they don't, they can point you in the right direction.

this isn't gonna be cheap.

Last edited:

Besoeker

VFDs are certainly available at that rating.

But is the 50Hz a must have?
I think you need to establish that before/instead of going down the frequency change route.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Make sure that you put up a sign (meeting the minimum regulatory requirements) where the protons can see it, telling them that the local power is 60Hz instead of 50Hz.

Some of the equipment (in particular DC power supplies for magnets) may will operate just as well or better on 60Hz.
You should look at each part of the system if possible, and in conjunction with the builder of the system, to minimize the amount of 50Hz you need.

iceworm

Curmudgeon still using printed IEEE Color Books
Occupation
EE (Field - as little design as possible)
Wow, I'm impressed - this is a heck of a job. I'm guessing you are in the $.5M - $1M range for the power system. I have not ever done anything like this - so anything I have to say is pure conjecture

... Not exactly sure what this equipment consists of, probably a motor? ....
This is the first thing I would fix. Be really good to know exactly what you are powering.

... Can I simply install a frequency converter along with a step down transformer? ... Can I use a VFD for this application? ...
The second thing I would work on is the specs for the power quality, stability, and reliability.

Just curious: What do you have in mind for a frequency converter?
A 600hp, 12pole synchronous motor driving a 600kva,10pole alternator. Likely considered old school, but certainly produces smooth, clean power.
An inverter might work. You can set the output freq anywhere you want. Power with a 500V, 1200A rectifier.

VFDs don't make very good sine waves.

I don't have any good answers. However, I suspect yu are not looking for DIY engineering for a $.5M+ project.

Good luck - keep us informed - it is interesting.

ice

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
A cyclotron is a type of particle accelerator in which charged particles accelerate outwards from the center along a spiral path. Not exactly sure what this equipment consists of, probably a motor??

I can tell you, from my experience as a high energy physicist (long story....), that there are four major components to a cyclotron in addition to the controls and cooling fans (motors):

1. A whopping great electromagnet to cause the particles to travel in a spiral inside the machine instead of shooting out in a straight line. The particles have to make many trips around to build up the enormous (for a particle) energies needed. There will be a very large DC power supply for this magnet, possibly even a motor generator. If it uses a motor generator, a VFD could be just the ticket. If it is a transformer/rectifier supply, no frequency correction may be necessary. The magnetic field has to be controlled to an extreme of accuracy and tuned to match the RF frequency (see 3) and the particle mass. (Some cyclotrons are used to accelerate ions rather than just protons.)
2. A very high voltage power supply to create the potential difference between halves of the orbit to accelerate the particles. This may or may not be frequency sensitive. It may generated by a DC to DC converter from a low voltage DC supply in which case the frequency may still not be relevant.
3. A high (radio) frequency oscillator/amplifier to switch the polarity of the field as the particles orbit across the gaps between plates. Think of magnetrons or klystrons. Most of the power for this may come from 2.
4 A very good vacuum pump to keep the particle from running into things as they orbit. This will typically be a combination of a mechanical vacuum pump (motor!) and a diffusion pump (resistance heater.)

For any given cyclotron, only the builder/designer/manufacturer will be able to guide you on just what is frequency sensitive and how you can split out the loads if you intend to do that.

Last edited:

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
For any given cyclotron, only the builder/designer/manufacturer will be able to guide you on just what is frequency sensitive and how you can split out the loads if you intend to do that.
That's the key right there. I worked on one part of one cyclotron a few years ago, the RF amplifier power supply. In that case, it had a timing pulse generator used for firing the SCRs based on the line frequency. My company had built it for a unit that went overseas, so it was based on 50Hz. It came back to the US years later and would not work, because nobody understood the firing board. We had to make a new one for it to handle the 60hz. From what I was told, these things are pretty much one-off designs so any unit will have been designed for a specific project. Only the people who made it will be able to discern what effect a different frequency will have. If that mfr no longer exists, you are likely going to have to have someone with experience go through it piece by piece and evaluate it.

elec_eng

Gents,

Thank you so much for your answers. I am trying to get hold of the manufacturer's rep and find out the exact power requirements. I will give you an update as soon as I get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.