How to designate conductors on plans

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have draw up some formal plans for a job that requires plan review. Although I have worked off professionally done plans many times, I cant for the life of me remember how conductors are typically designated. Do we typically just give the sizes in decending order without noting which is neutral and EGC and assume it is clear that it is
phases->N->EGC? Or do we actually write in something like "(N)" and "(EGC)"? What about if I am using the raceway as the EGC? Here are a few examples:

1. 200A Three phase +N feeder in EMT with no wire EGC. Would you just write: (4) 3/0 THWN-2 CU
2. 200A three phase +#6 N + #6 EGC. Would you write: (3) 3/0, (2) #6 CU THWN-2 CU or (3) 3/0, #6 N, #6 EGC THWN-2
3. If its all going to be the same wire types, would you just put the "THWN-2" in the column heading and leave it out of each entry?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I normally do a spread sheet with headings ungrounded grounded/neutral EGC. There is a column with numbers, the row has the sizes and the number is on the drawing next to the raceway run

I normally do a spread sheet with headings ungrounded grounded/neutral EGC. There is a column with numbers, the row has the sizes and the number is on the drawing next to the raceway run

I thought about have a separate column for UNG/GR/EGC, but my memory is I do not typically see it done that way. There is probably not a single standard or correct way.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
There are a couple of design templates online for this, including panel schedules, etc.
.xlsx

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
The plans I generate are fairly simple in the grand scheme of things, but I usually designate conductor size with a loop and line and a block of text.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yeah I have seen it that way, I like it. What is the format of the text?
Like this:

(4) AWG #10 THWN-2
(1) AWG #8 THWN-2 GND
IN 3/4" EMT CONDUIT

If you have a bazillion runs that need labeling a schedule table might be the thing, but for simpler drawings it's more readable if the descriptors are drawn right there next to the wires.

Status
Not open for further replies.