How to determine the main grounding system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpd24

I am a little confused on the main grounding system.I have a house in the country that already has a meter and a 200 amp main breaker mounted at the pole.The neutral is connected to the ground rods at the breaker. The inspector says 4 wire to the house so that means that the neutral and the ground are bonded at the breaker and isolated at the panel in the house. I would like to connect a ground grid system but it would be on the other side of the house do I have to go back to the breaker or can I connect at the groundbar in the house and would the grid system become the main grounding electrode.

dereckbc

Staff member
Re: How to determine the main grounding system.

You can add a grid at the house if you wish. You would bond it to the ground bar in your distribution panel. You would leave the neutral bus isolated as the bond is done at the disconnect.

I have to ask why you want a grid for your home?

jpd24

The home owner was told that it was a better system for lightning protection than just a ground rod.

dereckbc

Staff member

Will air terminals be used as part of a lightning protection system? If so a grid is not nessecary. Pick up a copy of NFPA-780 for details.

But there is no need for a grounding grid at a residence.

[ October 15, 2003, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: dereckbc ]

pierre

What part of the country are you from? There are certain parts of the country where lightning protection is of value, and other parts it is a waste of money. Has the house or area received lightning hits? IF the area does not receive much lightning, purchase and install a good surge protection device and spend the money saved on some other part of the house :D .

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.