how to enclose splices for cove light?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott_b

What is the best way to bring power to a very shallow cove with an LED rope light in it? Any junction box would be visible since the cove is detailed as just a 4" crown molding. I have seen this done without a junction box in the past and the splices were just loose in the cove, but there must be a proper way since this is becoming such a popular lighting technique.
Thanks

iwire

Staff member
What is the best way to bring power to a very shallow cove with an LED rope light in it? Any junction box would be visible since the cove is detailed as just a 4" crown molding. I have seen this done without a junction box in the past and the splices were just loose in the cove, but there must be a proper way since this is becoming such a popular lighting technique.
Thanks

If it is low voltage LED there is nothing wrong with open splices.

scott_b

I would prefer not to use a low voltage rope light because then I would have to find a hidden but accessible location for the transformer or low voltage power supply, but that option is definitely worth considering.

The existing detail for the crown molding creating a small cove doesn't work well with a handy box unless the box is mounted high enough to be partly exposed over the crown, and that is what I am trying to avoid. I think my issue here is that the cove should have been designed to be larger so that an outlet or a power supply could be hidden up there.

I guess I was hoping for something like the super small junction box that comes with some track lights.

Thanks for the help

kwired

Electron manager
If it is low voltage LED there is nothing wrong with open splices.
Maybe.

See 411.4. If extended through walls, floors, ceilings it must either be installed using chapter 3 wiring methods or installed in accordance with 725.130 if it has a class 2 power source. For the low volt LED it very well may depend on which side of the driver you are making the splices on.

iwire

Staff member
See 411.4. If extended through walls, floors, ceilings it must either be installed using chapter 3 wiring methods or installed in accordance with 725.130 if it has a class 2 power source.

That is for the part in the walls, not outside the walls.

Status
Not open for further replies.