How to ?? Generator transfer box

Status
Not open for further replies.

mensev

I would like to connect a 6 position transfer box to an existing service panel. (Emergency generator in the event of power loss) I notice that these boxes cost approx. $200. and up. Prior to purchasing this box I would like to see a schematic of what this entails. Are these instructions available anywhere? Thanks, MIKE

iwire

Staff member
Re: How to ?? Generator transfer box

Jim this sounds like the Gentran box you can see at Home Depot.

It is not a transfer switch in the normal sense.

You run the 6 circuits through it that you want to run on generator.

Each of the 6 switches is a SPDT switch.

gt20216.gif

[ December 22, 2003, 03:40 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Most contractors around here don't use the gentrans any more. the branch circuits are only 15A. The gentrans is good for a retrofit, but a better way to go is to set a small loadcenter, and use two interlocked breakers. Sq D and others sell the interlock kit, or you can get the complete set up from Sq or Cutler Hammer.
Eylander Electric in Everett WA sells 200 amp panels with a generator breaker and interlock, all UL listed.

hurk27

A word of warning on these Gentran transfer switch's They only have one #12 neutral going to it from the main panel they expect you to leave the neutrals for your circuits on the busses in the main panel and this is a violation of 300.3 (B) when using the FMC that is supplyed with the unit. You will need to use a non-metal raceway method to comply. I have installed a few of these and couldn't belive this. other brands also do this and are UL listed go figure.

iwire

Staff member

Wayne I was thinking about this more and I do not see a violation of 300.3(B).

In normal mode the it is the same as a switch leg with the feed at a light.

In Emergency mode the neutral is with the hots.

Am I missing something?

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.