How to Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
petersonra said:
could you run 240 w/o a neutral using the thrid wire in the existing feeder as an EGC to the garage, use a transformer to create 240/120 3 wire in garage? Would that not qualify as an SDS?

I know this thread hasn't seen activity in a few days but I have a question about the quote above. If that were, in fact possible:

1. How much does a transformer like that cost?
2. How/where do you mount it?
3. What does it look like?
4. Is that really something that would/could/should be put into a residential application?

I'm curious about that because I constantly find myself in unusual situations doing residential work. Although I wish that I could get a nice little streak of predictable work, I find myself having to learn how to solve unusual problems that I'll probably never have to deal with again.

benaround

czars,

In the new 200a main panel you wouldn't seperate the neutrals/ grounds

unless there is a main disconnect upstream from the panel.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Jay, I wouldn't do that in a residential application myself.

In commercial the prospect of a unqualified individual messing with the work is low, IMO. In residential, it's practically guaranteed. Keeping it simple is also a safety-oriented decision sometimes. :)

LawnGuyLandSparky

Around here detached residential garages are rare, usually seen in very old areas. Why is it common elsewhere in this country to bring services (electrical, water) to a detached, secondary structure?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Do you mean services, or just power in general?

Around here detached structures are common in some settings, but providing a seperate service to them is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.