How to hire someone with NEC code experience

1965mt

I work at a manufacturing company and we want to hire an EE. One of the qualifications is knowing the NEC as it pertains to electrical panels, machine design, and electrical installation.

Years ago, I worked at an engineering firm where we had people well versed in the NEC. I learned a bit by Osmosis but never enough to feel comfortable interpreting.

In more recent times, the only people I have met that really understand the code have been journeyman electricians.

Any advice on where to look for an EE with practical code application experience?

Elect117

Occupation
Engineer E.E. P.E.
An older guy that might have recently retired from a utility as a service planner, a building inspector, or a professional engineer. Someone who's main business is plan submittals for building dept plan review. I know a lot of manufacturing plants that bring in old timer inspectors that retired for some part time work when they are having issues with compliance.

A engineering in training or associate engineer might not have a lot of time using the book. They also end up getting told what to do by P.Es and it depends on how good of a PE they are studying under.

There are also a bunch of engineers out there right now that just stamp plans for money as their business model rather than develop the plans themselves. There are a bunch of those in California. It is borderline illegal but it is mostly just frowned upon. Those people genuinely do not understand much about code.

You can also look at old UL or other listing laboratories for their field crews. Those guys are pretty darn good at it. But they are typically very rigid because they were taught to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
My advice is this. Hire a guy based on him knowing how to keep your plant running and have him learn what he needs to know about the various codes as he needs to learn them
The NEC is not the only code. He is going to deal with a bunch of them and he better be able to learn.

kwired

Electron manager
Might be somewhat difficult to find but someone that once was an installer (Journeyman, contractor, etc) that eventually became an engineer might have better code knowledge?

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrical Engineer
In case Larry does not work out for you, this forum has a topic area for posting jobs. Let me add to Larry's question: Do you need a person with an EE degree, and if so do you also need that person to be a licensed professional engineer?

1965mt

My advice is this. Hire a guy based on him knowing how to keep your plant running and have him learn what he needs to know about the various codes as he needs to learn them
The NEC is not the only code. He is going to deal with a bunch of them and he better be able to learn.
This is not a plant job.

1965mt

In case Larry does not work out for you, this forum has a topic area for posting jobs. Let me add to Larry's question: Do you need a person with an EE degree, and if so do you also need that person to be a licensed professional engineer?
I did not post it as a job. It does not need to be a licensed engineer. As of right now it is a degree required position.
The question is only to understand where and how people are learning the NEC.

cadpoint

I believe you need to use and understand the old term of a "head hunter", they use to search and qualify personal for your close
if not exact requirements of employment.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I did not post it as a job. It does not need to be a licensed engineer. As of right now it is a degree required position.
The question is only to understand where and how people are learning the NEC.
I learned by reading and doing. I started early with crystal radios when I was six, then I did phone and audio wiring, ran power to our shed when I was 12, did my first service upgrade before I was 16.

If a degree is a requirement, I don't qualify. If a good foundation and aptitude is important, maybe I do. My best friend is an EE, and and tell you of my expertise and understanding of the NEC and more.