How to make a sheetrock joint without framing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
If you run dead center between two horizontal framing members between a window and the floor with no vertical framing your golden right? Not if the hangers need to make a joint.:mad:

Joint.jpg

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Not a problem. They'll take that cutout piece and tape it right in the hole and screw right thru the cable. :grin:

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
Back further? Thats concrete with ? furring. MC was strapped to the concrete with one hole straps and drive pins. Supported as per 330.30. Note there are no other screws close like they were trying to find framing and missing.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Back further? Thats concrete with ? furring. MC was strapped to the concrete with one hole straps and drive pins. Supported as per 330.30. Note there are no other screws close like they were trying to find framing and missing.
Seems like that installation method wouldn't be permitted without additional protection for the cable, but I don't know of any specifically. Closest I can think of is 330.4(F) Cables and Raceways Installed in Shallow Grooves.

Cavie

Seems like that installation method wouldn't be permitted without additional protection for the cable, but I don't know of any specifically. Closest I can think of is 330.4(F) Cables and Raceways Installed in Shallow Grooves.

That instalation is done all the time in block and soilid concrete construction. The rockers are suppose to know where the framing and ferring strips are located. We install nail plates at the locations where the framing is.

laketime

Code requires the installer to protect the cable.

cadpoint

A nail plate has holes in it, you can drill the masonry and use the plastic groumit and use longer screws to get there... If that's what needs to be done .. let the sheet rocker work around you...

Smart $

Esteemed Member
That instalation is done all the time in block and soilid concrete construction. The rockers are suppose to know where the framing and ferring strips are located. We install nail plates at the locations where the framing is.
I'm aware of that... and I'm not saying the method is a violation... but it definitely borders on being a violation considering the intent of the Code overall.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

I didn't realize the whole wall was concrete. You are correct. I never liked having to run wires in that situation. There is no way to protect the cables with nail plates etc. The install in my opinion is legit but the design sucks.

You should have energized the circuit and let them know. They may have been more careful. :grin:

Riograndeelectric

You should have energized the circuit and let them know. They may have been more careful. :grin:[/quote]

kind of reminds me of when I was an apprentice in the mid 1980s. we used to install all devices before drywall was taped and mudded to keep the boxes from being packed with mud.
it was pretty bad on the finishers when the would hit a live 277V switch with the taping knifes.

Split Bolt

Reminds me of a job MANY years ago where the kitchen flooded right after the drywall was installed. I felt terrible for the plumber, who was a friend, as he got reamed by the GC for not using kick plates. he then had to cut the drywall and came out of the kitchen smiling ear to ear! In his hand was a small section of copper pipe, some wood, a kick plate and a small square of drywall...with a drywall screw going through the whole thing!

krisinjersey

Awesome

Awesome

Yeah Backcharge! We only have one other rule about drywallers, and it has to do with buried boxes. 1st one you check the as built drawing, hold the 4' level up to the wall and politely cut the hole they missed. 2nd burried box, no drawing just the level. 3rd box? HAMMERTIME! :mad: What kind of boxes did you use? I always hated chiseling a hole in the wall for the box, and those 1/2" deep 1 gangs don't have enough cubic inch capacity for a wire and a device.

Volta

... kind of reminds me of when I was an apprentice in the mid 1980s. we used to install all devices before drywall was taped and mudded to keep the boxes from being packed with mud.
it was pretty bad on the finishers when the would hit a live 277V switch with the taping knifes.

And not great for the electrician that has to remove the device later.

But I sure like to proove that my circuits are good before the wallboard goes up too!

Status
Not open for further replies.