How to megger a 3 phase transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
My employer is working on at an old textile factory that shut down in the early 2000s, sat dormant for 20 years and is now being turned into a large warehouse. We are taking out old metal halide highbays and replacing them with LED highbays. All the LED highbays are being wired 208v because there is no neutral available for 277v with the 480v running through the factory. 480v LED highbays apparently cost a bit more and are special order. I'm assuming the service is 480v delta.

To cut to the chase one disconnect that feeds a 30kva 480 delta to 208/120v wye dry type transformer all the sudden keeps blowing fuses. Also this part of the factory, now warehouse, was wired "old school" with one large 400 amp overhead feeder with power taps along the way that supplies this transformer and alot of other transformers throughout. I added this information in because the 1600 amp main breaker that supplies the 400 amp feeder is tripping as well intermittently. Apparently both problems started up at the same time.

Other employees have looked at all the connections and the switchgear and say everything looks fine. They believe that the transformer is bad. It's probably from the late 70s to mid 80s. I am being sent to troubleshoot the problem tomorrow because they think I'm a miracle worker or something lol.

I have never meggered a transformer before and Google is light on helpful info. Can I megger a transformer with a standard megger? Can I just turn off the primary and secondary disconnect to the transformer and go from a high voltage lug to ground, then the low voltage lug to ground, and finally from the high voltage lug to the low voltage lug? Any special instructions?

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
I also forgot to mention that the fuses will hold for a while maybe a day or two and then blow. I am also told that the voltages on the high and low voltage sides of the transformer are good

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
While your getting your Megger out, smell the transformer, then look at the fuse holders as well.

Is there a chance that 1600 Amp would have GF protection?
The 1600 amp is more modern than the rest of the factory, I believe when the textile factory shut down the old service was ripped out and replaced with a newer smaller one

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

paulengr

The only hassle with Meggering transformers is disconnect everything first, especially X0 and H0.

Had a 34.5:4.16 blow pole fuses repeatedly once even with load disconnected. Eventually figured out by Megger test that I would never normally do that the primary and secondary were shorted. Very strange.

The easiest way to test a transformer is just rent a TTR. It tests voltage ratio and coil impedances. Then your Megger tests finish the job. That way you can pick up in any internal shorts or opens or anything questionable.

If it’s oil filled you’ve got a challenge. Oil samples are meaningless and any free moisture is laying in the bottom of the tank. Leave secondary off and just energize primary. Give it a day then another day on a light load then grab an oil sample and check all your gauges. Hopefully between morning and afternoon at some point the pressure/vacuum gauge shows SOME reading…anything but zero. Otherwise just plan on opening it up and replacing all the seals and doing hot oil filtering and add some rust inhibitor. Run PCB test and test for cellulose deterioration (can’t remember name…DPI?) so then you know condition.

Bring it up EASY. Chances are it absorbed moisture (dry types). You need to give it time to dry out. This takes time. This is the challenge with big iron…being gentle on a “beast”. If you can close all 3 high switches simultaneously to minimize ringing. Closing one at a time is actually rougher.

Best thing to do with bigger transformers is leave them powered up even with no load. Without power the oil can’t circulate inside.

If it has fans don’t even test. Just replace. Bearings are probably shot. They’re cheap.

kwired

Electron manager
Megger is good to find ground faults. Won't find turn to turn shorts in windings.

With primary energized and no load connected to secondary and assuming input volts is "balanced" you can get some idea checking to see how balanced output volts is or even see if input current is balanced.

KyleFowler

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks everyone for the replies, when I got on site today I found out that the transformer was not the issue. A roofer had ran a screw into a conduit that was fed by the disconnect that kept blowing fuses. Still had to use a megger to find out there was a short in the affected line. The other guys used a multimeter that couldn't see the short, they had no training on a megger so I gave them a lesson on one and why a multimeter won't always find a short. I checked the line from the disconnect first because that's easy and didn't want to disassemble the transformer until I was sure it was OK.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Other employees have looked at all the connections and the switchgear and say everything looks fine. They believe that the transformer is bad. It's probably from the late 70s to mid 80s. I am being sent to troubleshoot the problem tomorrow because they think I'm a miracle worker or something lol.
sounds like they were right…
😉
Good job starting with the easy stuff first..

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No doubt that skill will result in a big bonus in this weeks check, right :)

Status
Not open for further replies.