How to properly ground an auxiliary gutter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of the auxiliary wiring gutters I have seen installed do not have proper accommodations for grounding (e.g., ground bus bar kit paired with manufacturer-provided flared holes). How would one properly install an "off-the-shelf" ground bus bar in an auxiliary gutter? I would assume some sort of bonding apparatus (e.g., star washer) would need to be installed between the bus bar and the enclosure surface? Would there be a conventional torque spec to use for the mounting hardware?.. Or, if a bus bar may not be used, then how might the gutter be bonded/grounded otherwise?

pv_n00b

Not that it matters, but is it really an auxiliary gutter? Those are pretty rare.
There is a lot of confusion about what is an NEC 366 aux gutter and a 376 metal wireway. The descriptions seem to have a lot of overlap. If anyone can add their 2 cents I would be glad to hear it.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
There is a lot of confusion about what is an NEC 366 aux gutter and a 376 metal wireway. The descriptions seem to have a lot of overlap. If anyone can add their 2 cents I would be glad to hear it.
In general if the item in question is connected to the equipment via raceways, it is a wireway.

The auxiliary gutter must actually extend the wiring space of the equipment that it is attached to, and that is accomplished by a large opening in the gutter that mates up to a matching opening in the gear. Typically auxiliary gutters are supplied as an accessory to the gear by the gear manufacturer.

Status
Not open for further replies.