How to show Multi-conductor on oneline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whats the best / most-standard way to show multiconductor cable on a oneline diagram? I've seen a variety of formats, some using "4/C" such as "4/C#2 & #6g", but its always a little vague if the ground is in the cable or outside. Is there a standard format? I'm looking for a short-form that can be shown on oneline, not a full product spec.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don’t think there is a most-standard method. I have used the following (example is for a paralleled installation for a 1000 amp feeder):

• (3) 4”C, (4) 400 KCMIL, (1) 2/0 EGC.
Translation:

• Three conduits, each 4”, each containing four single conductors sized at 400 KCMIL, and each containing a single 2/0 ground.

I have also used a table to show types and descriptions of feeders. On the one-line, I would point to a feeder using an arrow with an oval containing the descriptor, “1000NG.” The table would have a row that describes a feeder 1000NG with the same text I show in my first bullet.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Whats the best / most-standard way to show multiconductor cable on a oneline diagram? I've seen a variety of formats, some using "4/C" such as "4/C#2 & #6g", but its always a little vague if the ground is in the cable or outside. Is there a standard format? I'm looking for a short-form that can be shown on oneline, not a full product spec.

I have no problem with how you wrote it and I would know what you meant. I would use a comma not and & but that is purely preference, not a critique. If you are in any way concerned someone will not interpret it right you can always include a description in the legend.

I don’t think there is a most-standard method. I have used the following (example is for a paralleled installation for a 1000 amp feeder):

• (3) 4”C, (4) 400 KCMIL, (1) 2/0 EGC.
Translation:

• Three conduits, each 4”, each containing four single conductors sized at 400 KCMIL, and each containing a single 2/0 ground.

I have also used a table to show types and descriptions of feeders. On the one-line, I would point to a feeder using an arrow with an oval containing the descriptor, “1000NG.” The table would have a row that describes a feeder 1000NG with the same text I show in my first bullet.

Thanks. The example you show is for conduit, and I use a similar thing. But I'm looking for multiconductor cable. Do you have a nice standard for MC cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.