How to size a Stepdown Transformer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlee777

I was wondering if someone could help in determining the proper stepdown transformer for a commerical system. I'm being provided by the power company a 200Amp / 480V 3 Phase power system and I want to convert it to 200Amp / 240V Single power system. Is there an online program to do this conversion?

iwire

Staff member
Before going to far here can I ask you what field you are in?

Also is there any particular reason you do not want to use a 208Y/120 system?

It makes little sense to throw away a phase.

Usually, where I'm at anyway, the power company installs the transformer and the service drop or lateral. We just take over from there with the service entrance conductors and service equipment. The power company usually connects their equipment to ours. We do, however, some large commercial jobs where we stub the underground service entrance conductors out of the ground. Then the power company puts there transformer on top of those and makes the final connection. They put a lock on that equipment when they leave. So I would say if you want 240/120 1-phase or 208/120 3-phase you would have to order that service from the power company.

sparky59

I believe what he means is he has a 480v 3-phase panel and needs a stepdown transformer for a panel to serve the 120/208v outlets.

fellhauer

I am looking for this answer also!!!

I am looking for this answer also!!!

What size transformer will you need for a 200 amp 208 V 3 phase Panel!!!
From a voltage 480 V 3 phase service!!!!

iwire

Staff member
fellhauer said:
What size transformer will you need for a 200 amp 208 V 3 phase Panel!!!
From a voltage 480 V 3 phase service!!!!

75 KVA

If you want to get all you can from a 200 amp panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.