how to strap PVC conduit to 6" diameter steel pole?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbiron

I'm a homeowner doing my own new construction electrical/solar in Custer County, CO. I had my rough-in inspection for the solar part yesterday. Basically, I passed with flying colors. The only minor thing he dinged me for was how I had the PVC conduit strapped to the side of the metal poles that my arrays are mounted on.

Background: my 9 panels are mounted on 2 poles (6 panels on 1 pole, 3 on the other ~20 ft away), with the combiner box mounted to the pole that has 6 panels of the poles. I've run the conductors from the 3 panels on the other pole into PVC conduit down the side of the pole, then underground in a trench to the base of other pole, then in PVC conduit up the 1st pole and into the combiner box. I used zip-ties to strap the conduit to the poles and the inspector said this was unacceptable (which I kind of agree with, but didn't know how else to do it).

The inspection report reads "Use approved conduit supports on conduits for solar array - Mineralac, unistrut or equal." I did a web search for the Minerallac supports and found [1]. But the steel poles are 6" diameter and with walls about 5/8" thick and using the Minerallac supports would require me to drill holes in the steel pole and then put threads in the hole with a tap/die set, etc. and I currently have no way of doing that (i.e., don't own a tap/die set that is sharp/strong enough to thread this steel pole).

What other means of strapping the conduit to the side of the poles would be "Approved or equal"? For instance, could I use big band straps (which is how I attached the combiner box to the pole)?

[1] http://www.minerallac.com/products/electrical-hardware/hangers/conduit/?product=3s

jumper

I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.