how to tap a feeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a practical question. I have a feeder (120/240, 3 wire, 1/0 Cu) that feeds the top two floors of a small multi-story building (floors 3 and 4). The main panel OCD is 125 A. The feeder is routed through where the sub panel will be located on both floors.

My question is, what is the best practice for tapping into the feeder on the 3rd/lower floor?

a) My first thought was to get a panel with feed-through lugs rated at 125A. But those seem to be recommended for "mobile home applications."

b) A "riser panel" has extra room in a box for feeders to other floors, but it is not clear to me if a tap (i.e. split-bolt) is allowed or should be done inside those or if it is just to feed wires through.

c) I could install a box that taps the feeder then has a short run to the sub panel, if it is better than tapping the feeder in the sub-panel. If so, is there a box with lugs or are split-bolt taps okay? I seem to rememeber reading a limit on where split-bolt taps can be used.

d) Something else?

Any advice on best practice, safest approach, what an inspector would like to see, etc will be appreciated thanks!

Buck Parrish

[
Any advice on best practice, safest approach, what an inspector would like to see, etc will be appreciated thanks!

[/QUOTE]

My Opinion would be to set a panel. Feed it with the existing cable then re-feed the panels above from a breaker in your new panel . If the load calculation will allow for it.

wireguru

i wouldnt say feed through panels are designed for or limited to mobile homes....for example Square D NQ panelboards are available with feed through lugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.