How to

Skypilot579

New User
Occupation
Simi retired
How can I calculate how long 135kwh will last at 15.8A discharge 13v
¿???????¿????????
????????????¿?????????????????????????????????????????????

retirede

Figure the power by multiplying volts times amps. Convert to KW. Divide the battery capacity by the result.
Presume this is all DC? No conversion losses?

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Assuming this is a battery, so DC where power factor is not an issue, 15.8A x 13V = 205.4W (0.2054kW).
Assuming a continuous draw at that level, 135kWh / .2054kW = 657 hours and 15 minutes, just under 4 weeks.

135kWh is a VERY large battery... that's the equivalent of 225 average car batteries! Are you sure it is not 135Wh?

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
135kWh is a VERY large battery... that's the equivalent of 225 average car batteries! Are you sure it is not 135Wh?
This. The first battery backup solar project (an unmitigated disaster) I ever saw featured a battery which was, as best I can remember, a 40kWh 48V lead acid battery (from a forklift, maybe?). It weighed something like 3000 pounds.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Assuming this is a battery, so DC where power factor is not an issue, 15.8A x 13V = 205.4W (0.2054kW).
Assuming a continuous draw at that level, 135kWh / .2054kW = 657 hours and 15 minutes, just under 4 weeks.

We have one upstate here that boasts 20MW (part of a utility level ESS) More than several Large C- Containers full of battery capacity.
For perspective: A typical Power Wall will have about 13.5kWh. Some estimates are that the ave. U.S. household will use about 29kWh per day.
NY plans to have 6000MW of capacity by 2030.