how would you get to the garage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyou812

I have to refeed a detached garage, the old knob and tube has fallen apart. piping to the garage which is about 35 feet away is not an option, because the area is surronded by concret and owners want cheep fix. what sort of wire could you use for this? do they make some kind of #12 triplex with support wire ?

mdshunk

Just run #6 triplex and tap on #12 at each end. That's the only viable way. The other option, supporting #12 UF on a messenger, is actually more expensive.

tonyou812

thats kinda what i figured. I had a roll of it but gave it away months ago for something else. this job is for a family member and is giving me aligator arms.
I have 12/3 uf but it looks real crap on a wire. I guess its 8 triplex

mdshunk

tonyou812 said:
thats kinda what i figured. I had a roll of it but gave it away months ago for something else. this job is for a family member and is giving me aligator arms.
You need at least #6 triplex, I feel sure, to meet code. For 35 feet, I think you're talking about maybe 25 bucks worth of triplex, plus some knobs and hooks. If you had 3-strand before, there's no reason why you can't just reuse your 3-point rack at each end to hang the triplex hooks off just one knob.

tonyou812

mdshunk

ItsHot said:
Maybe # 8, DooH !
I even have the electronic version at my fingertips, and I was too lazy to look it up. Article 396 doesn't seem to have a minimum size, but I find it's hard to find aerial triplex smaller than #6 anyhow. Open Wiring on Insulators has a minimum of #8, but triplex (or quadplex or whatever he's using) is under the Messenger Supported Wiring.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.