How would you handle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

If you had a note like this and almost every receptacle was separate circuit and you were using MC cable? You would have to use #10 MC and not #12 even though they are just asking for neutral to be #10.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    113.2 KB · Views: 1

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I would ask whether they mean the neutral of MWBCs that supply separate single-pole circuits (as opposed to a single multi-wire load).

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One outlet on it's own circuit( 1p-20a breaker). no?

Sounds like a guess. :D

I don't know what it means which is why I would ask the question. Assuming you're correct why would you need a #10 neutral for a 20 amp circuit with a #12 ungrounded conductor?

mstrlucky74

Sounds like a guess. :D

I don't know what it means which is why I would ask the question. Assuming you're correct why would you need a #10 neutral for a 20 amp circuit with a #12 ungrounded conductor?

Not a guess based on drawings. Each receptacle( well 90% of them) has it's own circuit.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Not a guess based on drawings. Each receptacle( well 90% of them) has it's own circuit.

Still makes no sense why you would have a #10 neutral and a #12 ungrounded conductor in a 2 wire circuit. It's either a mistake or someone doesn't have a clue.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
The supernoodle was in the coppercabals best interests....trade rags were lousy w/non linear loads and harmonic editorials a few decades ago

True RMS meters sold like hotcakes

But the world turned ,few jobs were spec'd out for it, and now were stuck with antiquated labels

~RJ~

Kansas Mountain

Occupation
Lighting and Lighting Control Designs
Is this something bidding, or do you already have the project? I also don't understand why that note is in there, but smells like there's going to be a spec line or general project note not allowing MC cable if it's already this over-engineered and calling for about 150 dedicated recepts in a typical office space.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Still makes no sense why you would have a #10 neutral and a #12 ungrounded conductor in a 2 wire circuit. It's either a mistake or someone doesn't have a clue.

Old specs. is my guess.
some of the specs we get are out of the late 80's and early 90's.

mstrlucky74

Is this something bidding, or do you already have the project? I also don't understand why that note is in there, but smells like there's going to be a spec line or general project note not allowing MC cable if it's already this over-engineered and calling for about 150 dedicated recepts in a typical office space.

Bidding. MC is allowed.

sameguy

Occupation
Master Elec./JW retired
Where is that post about, eng./contractors again?
would love to hear back on the RFI, "too late to change bid the documents!".
Then you come in thousands over and the lowballer gets the job and an extra!

Status
Not open for further replies.