How would you wire...

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Don't think I've ever seen this many separate circuits so close to each other.
If you had to run separate neutral what would be the most efficient way to wire this using either mc cable or EMT?

1702904107475.png

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Home run box fed with two runs of EMT in the ceiling and 12-2 MC to each receptacle. #10 THHN in the EMT.
Or
Separate 12-2 MC runs back to the panel.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
Many options, depending on the use of an additional J boxes to split the circuit from use of a wire method that brings multiple circuits. Can use as suggested EMT, 12/2/2MC, or separate individual MC into a device like this:
1702906872393.png

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is this the entire group of circuits, or just an example and there are more?

Is there a good place for a sub-panel close enough to use all home runs?

With individual neutrals, the only reason to group circuits is economical.

I would probably group circuits in threes, giving you six wires per conduit.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Thanks all. I actually must use EMT so I was thinking of daisy chaining a few receptacles with common conduit and multiple circuits but thinking receptacles too close for that. Maybe FMC if allowed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Thanks all. I actually must use EMT so I was thinking of daisy chaining a few receptacles with common conduit and multiple circuits but thinking receptacles too close for that. Maybe FMC if allowed.
That's when the debate begins. You need to run out of the panel with EMT because they don't want any exposed cables so how far do you run the EMT? Just outside the electrical closet into the hung ceiling or do you carry the homeruns close to the area where all of your branch circuits terminate?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
That's when the debate begins. You need to run out of the panel with EMT because they don't want any exposed cables so how far do you run the EMT? Just outside the electrical closet into the hung ceiling or do you carry the homeruns close to the area where all of your branch circuits terminate?
Ok, the "homeruns" is one aspect the branch is another. The job is all EMT so I was saying I don't it's doable to interconnect some of those receptacles with common EMT as they are so close together as I think you have to rise up a little bit to get into the stud opening. If you could go straight into each receptacle that could be done I suppose but then you would have to punch out the stud. Not sure that's allowed.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Ok, the "homeruns" is one aspect the branch is another. The job is all EMT so I was saying I don't it's doable to interconnect some of those receptacles with common EMT as they are so close together as I think you have to rise up a little bit to get into the stud opening. If you could go straight into each receptacle that could be done I suppose but then you would have to punch out the stud. Not sure that's allowed.
You mention MC in the OP now you're saying that the entire job is EMT including the wall rough in? In that case feed the first receptacle from the HR and then link a few more together in the wall with EMT. You need to watch your box fill to see how many circuits you can pull through the first box.

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
You mention MC in the OP now you're saying that the entire job is EMT including the wall rough in? In that case feed the first receptacle from the HR and then link a few more together in the wall with EMT. You need to watch your box fill to see how many circuits you can pull through the first box.
Yea sorry . But as I mentioned wouldn’t it be a problem linking receptacles so close with EMT it you may have to rise up at each stud ?

Todd0x1

What's cheaper -time or material? Assuming you can put pullboxes above a ceiling I would probably group them in 4 receptacles per homerun, go vertical from each receptacle to above the ceiling into a 4S box for each, then a 3/4 homerun landing into the first 4S box for that group of 4 receptacles then 3/4 between that one and each of the next 3 4S boxes. No splices, just pull each receptacle's wires all the way though.

If you REALLY wanted to link receptacle boxes together, you could stagger them to have room for the pipe. IE: Box 1 feeds to Box 3, Box 2 feeds to Box 4 but that is alot of time bending conduit and pulling wire. In my first example the only bending you should have is a 90 on the vertical runs where the come out of the wall above the ceiling.

Is this a kitchen with hard lid? Or is there a drop ceiling? Or is it open?