HP of exterior ac 2 pole non fused disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ritelec

I did a prep for a hydromassage unit.
20 amp 120v. - with a switch on a wall for a timer. power>switch>tub

turns out the owner got a Kohler 240v unit with a heater

kohler underscore k1835h2

spec calls for hard wire 240v 20 amp... controls are in the unit.

(I may keep the switch location installed for future if someone rips out the kohler and sticks in a regular 120v unit, or rewire and just bring the feed to the tub area and install AC disconnect)

Evening thing is still open so it's not a problem to feed straight to tub and lose the wall switch.

The unit specs say the motor is 11 amps and the heater is 1500w..

I'm considering the ac "cheapo" water proof 30 amp pull out non fused disconnect. BUT ..

looking at 430.250, at 230v a 11 amp motor would be 5Hp ish, would the disconnect need to handle the HP plus the heater..

in a google search at Home Depot disconnects. The 30 amp AC 240v disconnect (fused) is rated for 3hp...
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-30-Amp-120-240-Volt-240-Watt-Fused-AC-Disconnect-TF30RCP/100576894

With this disconnect, it says it's rated for 240 Watts ??? how can that be? is it only rated for 1 amp @ 3hp ???

This one is rated 7200watts but I see no Hp rating, assuming 3 HP ??

a 60 amp non fused disconnect

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Eaton-60-Amp-2-Pole-NEMA-3R-AC-Disconnect-AC222URNMP-A2/202106488

says 14400 watts but no mention of Hp, just AC.

this one is 60 amp non fused is rated 60 amps and for 240 watts ??? again? it's rated for 60 amps and 1 amp??
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-Am...C-_-NavPLPHorizontal1_rr-_-NA-_-100674085-_-N

What am I missing here?

Thank you

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
You cannot base the HP rating of a disconnect device solely on the amps. The HP rating is determined by more than that as part of the UL listing of the switch, because it includes a lot of other factors like PF at the moment of switching, duty cycle and other "worst case scenarios" that may or may not apply to you, but UL has to cover them. So if there is a UL listed HP rating for the switch, it will say so. If there is no HP listing for it, you can't use it for a motor. Most disconnects however will have a HP rating and if not listed on a sticker on the switch, might be in a data sheet.

In your case, one problem is that you are trusting some bimbo data entry clerk at Home Despot who doesn't know a watt from a volt. The GE 60A unit is rated 10HP, the 30A unit is 5HP. The "240" is likely the VOLTS, but the bimbo typed it in as "watts" on their data sheet.

746W/HP, so 14400W = about 20HP, but that Eaton AC disconnect is also rated 10HP, no mention of the 14,400W on Eaton's data sheets, so the bimbo likely made something up.

ritelec

Bimbo. :- )

That's funny

I was thinking that is what may have happened but needed to confirm

I actually saw one disconnect but couldn't find it to post the link that said 0 watts

Thank you

ritelec

Wondering

Would a 240v 20a receptacle and 12 wire cord work for this application

What's the Hp rating of a receptacle ?

Status
Not open for further replies.