HPS 70 watt light in parking lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerplay

I was sent to change a bulb on the end of a high post in a parking lot and found a new looking 70 watt HPS bulb inside. I will have to track down the ballast location, whether in the post top or a remote location, but am curious what would happen if I put in a regular 60 watt bulb to shed light temporarily for the evening? If the bulb was a metal halide, I am also curious what would happen if a regular bulb was installed for a temp solution if no bulbs are available?

ghelec

It probably will not work. Lamps need to match the ballast, otherwise why would they make so many different lamps and ballasts.

buzzbar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The ballast could be the cylinder type, which would located inside the pole itself. It sort of 'drops' into place.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I was sent to change a bulb on the end of a high post in a parking lot and found a new looking 70 watt HPS bulb inside. I will have to track down the ballast location, whether in the post top or a remote location, but am curious what would happen if I put in a regular 60 watt bulb to shed light temporarily for the evening? If the bulb was a metal halide, I am also curious what would happen if a regular bulb was installed for a temp solution if no bulbs are available?

The starting voltage would blow the filaments out of a regular bulb. Did you happen to check the socket voltage?

BullsnPyrs

The starting voltage would blow the filaments out of a regular bulb. Did you happen to check the socket voltage?

You would expect that to happen but I have seen many instances while retrofittting apartment complexes high preasure sodium postlights burning incandescant lamps, all working. Maintenance men never had a clue that it was a HPS fixture.

You would expect that to happen but I have seen many instances while retrofittting apartment complexes high preasure sodium postlights burning incandescant lamps, all working. Maintenance men never had a clue that it was a HPS fixture.

Are you sure, or was the ballast taken out of the equation?

I had a situation where I found 100 watt mercury vapor lamps and 26 watt CFLs in what seemed to be equivalent luminaires in the soffit of a bank. Seems someone rewired the fixtures with the CFLs eliminating the ballasts......120 volts straight to the sockets.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

Yea, if the ignitor is bad a regular incandescent bulb will work. That is actually a troubleshooting tip to see if the ignitor is working. The socket voltage will be 120V. If the ignitor is bad you can install an ignatron bulb.

Status
Not open for further replies.