Human ground?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Probably a stupid question, but... here's the scenario:

You're wearing a pair of RUBBER BOOTS, while standing in (let's say - 1/2 inches) of water.

With your bare hand, you pick up a steel bar that supports a submersible sump pump that has suddenly stopped working (the sump pump has no ground wire connection). There IS continuity between the chasis of the sump pump and the steel bar it supports.

You're now holding the end of the steel bar (supporting the faulty sump pump) in your your BARE hand (lets say 2 feet above potential
earth ground), wearing your RUBBER BOOTS, while the opposite end of the of that "support bar" lays in the 1/2 inches of water - at earth
ground.

My question:
If a short were to occur on the circuit that supplies that sump pump, would you (yourself) become a part of earth ground? Would a possibility
of electrocution exist?

Hope I didn't confuse the heck out of anyone with this scenario..... I'll check back tomorrow.

bphgravity

Re: Human ground?

If the means of disconnect for the equipment or sump pump is open, than you are guaranteed not to be shocked or electrocuted. Rubber boots or not, why take the chance regardless of probability or chance occurance? :eek:

physis

Re: Human ground?

If you become part of a circuit though the water you will have a very hard time disconnecting yourself from the water. Electrocution is a very real concern there. I always get a little extra worried when water is involved. :eek:

[ May 07, 2003, 02:25 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.