Hurrican Damaged Wiring Replace or Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

westenelectric

I am a local electrician on the MS Gulf Coast, I am concerned about signing off on storm damaged (flooded) wiring due to storm surge.
The general consensus is that all panels, devices and so on need to be replaced but that the conductors are okay.

I have been trying to repair and not completely rewire people's homes in order to save them money. If a house is not up to code as far as proper service, feeders, and sub-panel sizes, as well as having the proper amount of dedicated circuits such as kitchen/bath and proper AFCI/GFCI protection then I will rewire these areas only, unless I can justice rewiring an entire house.

Many so called electricians are not even doing this they are changing panels and devices only and signing of on it.

I am still concerned about the long term effect of brackish or salt water on the conductor ins. (NM Cable).

Their is about 5 different jurisdictions that I am working in and each AHJ seems to be on a different page on this I think they are overwhelmed

If any one has experience with this I would appreciate your input.

Thanks

If any one has experience with this I would appreciate your input

templdl

Re: Hurrican Damaged Wiring Replace or Repair

I believe that you should start withreviewing this NE MA publication regarding water damaged electrical equipment.
You may want to consider your liablitiy and compare it to saving people money.
Guidelines for Handling water Damaged Electrical Equipment
Also, be very careful of devices purchased from the used marker as there may be a very good chance that a lot of water damaged electrical equipment is being sold there.

physis

I am still concerned about the long term effect of brackish or salt water on the conductor ins. (NM Cable).
I can tell you from first hand experience with boats in the brackish waters of San Francisco bay that a tool dropped in a boat's bilge, immediately removed and allowed to dry will have copper less than about 5 thousandths of an inch literally dissolve.

Salt in water makes a pretty effective etchant.

It also leaves a bad surface for electrical connections.

I'm not saying that it puts an end to the usefulness of all copper. But it causes some significant havoc.

[ January 16, 2006, 02:20 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

Wes G

Originally posted by westenelectric:

Their is about 5 different jurisdictions that I am working in and each AHJ seems to be on a different page on this I think they are overwhelmed
IMO When it comes to NM Cable, The present types of cable sheaths should not be effected by brackish water. However if the sheath the cable is tho older fabric covered type it could well rot and become in effective. Also if there was previous damage to the wire insulation it might now be at risk of fault even though no problems were previously noted.

I believe in your situation I would make a check list that would include at least the following;
1. Visually inspect cable sheaths and replace any that appear suspect.
2. Megger all wiring to detect any insulation problems.
3. Cut off exposed wire ends and inspect to assure no corrosion is present on re stripped ends before re terminating.

Given the nature of things the AHJ'S will always vary on their opinions, but if you talk to them and they see you have put thought into the matter, I doubt you'll have any problems with them. :)

Good Luck! Perhaps others more current in dealing with this can add to this list. :p

Goodland, KS

Status
Not open for further replies.