Husband needs help for MA journeyman Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupation
Apprentice electrician
Hi everyone
A wife that sees her immigrant husband having a tough time preparing for the Massachusetts journeyman test.
He's on his 4th year as an apprentice and loves the field. English is a second language for him.
Any tips/advice on what he can get his hands on for test questions? And a private tutor who can guide him to learn how to use the book for the test?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
This is the link Buck was referring to.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest calling the office.
in my state they tell us what the test covers, and what reference materials can be used. What I would suggest is do 100-200 practice questions a week using Mike Holts material. Your hubby is likely a good electrician but poor test taker, as most of us are.

Occupation
Apprentice electrician
Thank you.
He's an amazing electrician but books/school is real tough for him.
The paperwork he received said how many questions are covered and the topics.
Trying to figure out a routine for him to study since he is really lost.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I agree with Tom (Post #6). If you have not done so, contact the Licensing Board (I believe the # is (617)727-9931 ).
In many States, they have provisions when language is an issue.

Occupation
Apprentice electrician
He currently holds an apprentice card, and will fulfill his hours with school in 04/2022.
He's been with a company for 4 yrs this may 2022(fulfilling his work hours)

farmantenna

the best place for help is his teacher at school. At class they should have code questions and review every night to help him with navigating the NEC book. They should be advising, guiding and preparing him for the test. The teacher should know what the Massachusetts practical test will cover (Massachusetts code amendments, theory, fire alarm code)

Occupation
Apprentice electrician
Yes. The issue is that his class is huge, and he always feels he's bothering the teacher.
But I will make sure he has a private meeting with him to see if he knows anyone who can tutor him.

farmantenna

Thank you.
He's an amazing electrician but books/school is real tough for him.
The paperwork he received said how many questions are covered and the topics.
Trying to figure out a routine for him to study since he is really lost.
I'm concerned with what you say here. Is his school not adequately teaching? I live in Mass and around many apprentices that go to a few different schools and listen and talk with them about their schooling.
Maybe someone at work could help him.

Occupation
Apprentice electrician
I believe the issue is him not the school..lol
Having language barrier is already hard-and I've heard this licensing process is stressful to anyone doing it.

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I believe the issue is him not the school..lol
Having language barrier is already hard-and I've heard this licensing process is stressful to anyone doing it.
It is stressful. But stress won't let him learn. I am sure he want's to pass the first time.............I did. I live in MA and took the journeymen's test 41 years ago (so I'm not much help) when the test only had 16 questions....couldn't use a book had to get 12 right to pass.

The most important thing is to get approved to take the test. Once that is done you can always retake it. Relax and keep studying.

He will pass it at some time.

This has to be tough on him, the code is difficult to understand and with the added language barrier it is more difficult

Good Luck :)

Status
Not open for further replies.