HV switching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

We attempted to pick-up load by installing 12kV jumpers. We were able to intall one, but we installed the second jumper, an arc-flash occurred. The substation breaker tripped (Line-to-line overcurrent). We've done it before, and nothing happened. Any advise as to what could have caused the arc-flash?

bob

Fernando said:
We attempted to pick-up load by installing 12kV jumpers. We were able to intall one, but we installed the second jumper, an arc-flash occurred. The substation breaker tripped (Line-to-line overcurrent). We've done it before, and nothing happened. Any advise as to what could have caused the arc-flash?
You are trying to pick too much load. Using jumpers are ok sometimes but
you need to install a load break disconnect switch and do the job right.

micromind

What was the purpose of the jumpers? If you were paralleling feeders, I doubt you got phases crossed, or you likely wouldn't still be here. If you were energizing a dead line, particularly overhead, there could have been an inductance issue. If you were energizing a 3 phase transformer, and it was wye-wye, some really strange things can happen when all 3 phases are not energized simultaneously, even if it's not loaded.

The possibilities are endless, the more info we have, the more help we can give you.

zog

Much more info required to give any advice, but my guess would be your terminations on your jumpers failed. What type of testing was performed on the jumpers before energizing? What were the test reasults? What type of cables were used and how were the terminations done?

wirenut1980

Are you trying to tie between 2 feeders from different substations?

What is the voltage on each line that you are trying to tie together? Not sure what your situation is, but if you had a difference of lets say 7 volts on a 120 V base from one line having more voltage drop than the other, that could cause an arc across the jumper.

I would say Jim's thought might be the best bet, but I don't see how that explains the phase to phase target at the substation relay. If you did cross phases from 2 sources I would expect more fireworks than what you described. Did you get a phase to phase target at 2 subs or just one?

AM_0228

Fernando said:

When installing jumpers(live works), maybe you had forgotten to switch the ground trip block to block (feeder panel breaker). In this way, your relay will not detect an unbalanced load in your feeder.:smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.