HVAC DIsconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I received an IM and am posting it for comments:

"I have an RTU where the disconnect is behind a panel requiring the removal of screws for access.
The electrician contends the disconnect is 'accessible for those working on the equipment' "

The reference is: 440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.

The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(s).

Last edited:

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
My take is that the provision allowing the disconnect to be within the equipment allows it to be behind an access panel.
From a simple ease of use point of view for later servicing, a label on the panel in question stating that the disconnect is inside would be nice.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........

"I have an RTU where the disconnect is behind a panel requiring the removal of screws for access.
The electrician contends the disconnect is 'accessible for those working on the equipment' "

Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.

The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment or to obscure the equipment nameplate(s).

On or within. It's good to go to me.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
However, just in the interest of usability and without any regulatory requirement, I sure would appreciate a label on that panel so that I know which one to open to find the disconnect. :)

I'm pretty sure Bard wall mounts as well as Marvair's have a label stating that.
But their access door is held closed with a twist lock on hinges not screwed in place.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
It's the need for a tool to access the breaker that concerns me.
It would only be accessible to service personnel with a 5/16 nut-driver :D

Mgraw

Occupation
Electrician
I don't think that would be code compliant. In my opinion the "within" is to allow OEM internal disconnects that are accessible from the outside of the unit without having to remove a panel.

fifty60

Reading it literally I agree that you could put the disconnect behind the panel. To borrow from a CE mantra regarding problems and risk assessment:

1) Remove the problem from the design (mount the disconnect outside of the machine)
2) or Guard against it (perhaps door mount kit with extension and handle that is outside of the machine)
3) or put a Warning label on it (Disconnect Located Behind Access Panel label)

Gregg Harris

Occupation
Electrical,HVAC, Technical Trainer
It's the need for a tool to access the breaker that concerns me.
It would only be accessible to service personnel with a 5/16 nut-driver :D

Would this amount to any difference if the door to an electric room was locked or there was a lock on the disconnect that was mounted on the outside of the unit? It is still available to service the equipment.

"Readily Accessible"...

"Readily Accessible"...

Reading the definition in Article 100, As an Inspector, I would argue that being required to remove screws for access violates the definition of "Readily Accessible"...On the other hand if a piece of equipment came from the manufacturer this way with a UL label...it would be permitted. (maybe that's why I don't think I've ever seen a disconnect behind a screw cover panel)

Cavie

Reading the definition in Article 100, As an Inspector, I would argue that being required to remove screws for access violates the definition of "Readily Accessible"...On the other hand if a piece of equipment came from the manufacturer this way with a UL label...it would be permitted. (maybe that's why I don't think I've ever seen a disconnect behind a screw cover panel)

Ok, let's do this. As an inspector you made me put a separate disconnect. It is wp and has two tangs sticking out for a padlock which I installed. What did you accomplish?

Status
Not open for further replies.