HVAC equipment in UL508A vs UL1995

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisani168

Occupation
EE
Can somebody explain to me why UL508A lists HVAC equipment in section 88 but then we have UL1995 which is far less strict than 508A.

If I want to yell at a manufacturer, which standard do I refer too? The equipment was built in 2006 and I cannot find any UL label on it. The OEM is a global player for chillers and HVAC’s.

Can somebody explain to me why UL508A lists HVAC equipment in section 88 but then we have UL1995 which is far less strict than 508A.

If I want to yell at a manufacturer, which standard do I refer too? The equipment was built in 2006 and I cannot find any UL label on it. The OEM is a global player for chillers and HVAC’s.
Not real familiar with these UL standards, but 508A is industrial control panels and 1995 is HVAC equipment. I would think both could apply to an HVAC unit.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

If it doesn't have a listing label from a testing organization, why would you expect it to be in compliance with any published standard. The listing label only tells you that the product is in compliance with a specific listing standard.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
UL508A lists HVAC equipment in section 88…

That just means that if you build an industrial control panel that must include an air conditioner, a listed air conditioner is allowed under UL508A. It does not mean that you would apply a UL508A label to an air conditioner itself (although you might do so to the control panel for one).

pisani168

Occupation
EE
If it doesn't have a listing label from a testing organization, why would you expect it to be in compliance with any published standard. The listing label only tells you that the product is in compliance with a specific listing standard.
enforcement of corporate policies and internal standards.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Section 88 is one of the special control panel sections. If you build a control panel for HVAC equipment it has to meet all the general requirements plus those found in this section. There are several such sections.

Status
Not open for further replies.