HVAC FIRE DAMPERS - Fusible Links

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired
Replaced an old package HVAC unit on the roof of an apartment building, for a unit on the first floor. Discovered that there was a Fire Damper with a Fusible Link that opened up in the return to the unit. The Fire Damper was located in the unit above behind a panel in the hallway. It was spring loaded and it closed. Could not find out why the return air wasn't working.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Replaced an old package HVAC unit on the roof of an apartment building, for a unit on the first floor. Discovered that there was a Fire Damper with a Fusible Link that opened up in the return to the unit. The Fire Damper was located in the unit above behind a panel in the hallway. It was spring loaded and it closed. Could not find out why the return air wasn't working.
Usually that has to be a temperature of at least 165F, and more likely 200F. Did someone mug the link?

kwired

Electron manager
Had that happen once before. Cold winter day the furnace was running but was really hot and kept cycling on and off on high limit.
IIRC what happened on this one was they had been testing the fire alarm, which closed the powered dampers whenever there was an alarm condition during the testing. The furnaces did have relays to shut them down when fire alarm is active, but for some reason one of the powered dampers failed to open again and eventually it got hot enough to melt fuse in the fusible link damper of that unit's ducting, which wasn't all that far from the furnace.

mtnelect

Occupation
Usually that has to be a temperature of at least 165F, and more likely 200F. Did someone mug the link?

I think it was just a defective link ... no signs of melting !

Is there a requirement in the Fire Code for yearly inspections ?

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
I think it was just a defective link ... no signs of melting !

Is there a requirement in the Fire Code for yearly inspections ?
One year after the initial acceptance test, and every 4 years thereafter.

brycenesbitt

These fusible links can fail just based on vibration. It's a soft metal fusible link, and after a few years of shaking.... can develop cracks.
I'd say a really nice clear sign on the equipment could help alert techs to the condition!

mtnelect

Occupation
These fusible links can fail just based on vibration. It's a soft metal fusible link, and after a few years of shaking.... can develop cracks.
I'd say a really nice clear sign on the equipment could help alert techs to the condition!

It really threw me ... I was going in circles.