HVAC Service Contribution

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkdiaZ

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1592776046316.png
We are adding 2 office trailers that have the attached A/C units to an existing panel. We are close to the limit on the ampacity of the existing panel so we are trying to save on every VA we can. In performing this I came to the conclusion that I'm more confused than what I originally thought I was and hoping someone can straighten me out on the flow of the code legalese to arrive at this. First if there's anything wrong with the calculation and method above please advise. Here's what I come up with:
  1. 220.50 directs us to 430.22, 430.24, 430.25, 430.26 and 440.6 to use for the service/feeder load contribution of this equipment.
  2. Because this unit has a hermetic compressor we go to 440.6. 440.6 however only tells us to use the RLA or if shown, the BCSC shall be used. The remaining components of a multimotor will be used at their FLA value.
  3. Here is where I get confused. If these units happen to be the largest load where is it shown that I have to multiply the largest A/C load by 125% and add that to the service/feeder calculation. I see it in 430.24 for motors but I'm not seeing it for HVAC loads. Or is it that once I arrive at the individual equipment load as I have above then 440.3 directs us back to 430 where 430.24 would then apply?
Stated another way - for the purposes of service/feeder calculation for hermetic compressors what we are really doing is using 430.24 except that we use the values as stated in 440.6. Does this seem like the right way to think about this?

Appreciate any feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.