HVAC Service Receptacle(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A fellow electrician ran this one by me today. He has 3 roof top units serving three tenant spaces each space on it's own meter. Space 1 is the building owner's, spaces 2 and 3 are tenant spaces. A duplex receptacle from tenant 3 is within 25' of all three units. Is this all that's required?

Jim W in Tampa

A fellow electrician ran this one by me today. He has 3 roof top units serving three tenant spaces each space on it's own meter. Space 1 is the building owner's, spaces 2 and 3 are tenant spaces. A duplex receptacle from tenant 3 is within 25' of all three units. Is this all that's required?
no because we can not be sure there is a tenant and even if there is there is power theft issue. From house meter or each tenant

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I don't see where the code states this is not okay although Jim has a good point. I just don't think that is enforceable.

cadpoint

Article 210.63 and since its outside 210.8, since it a roof unit, it should be off the owners source,(per the inspector/and yes he asked who was suppling the power) this is all based on my last install. FWTW :grin:

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
No doubt there will be conflicting opinions, but as mentioned, the only way to assure available power would be to have each unit have its own service receptacle from that space. It might be a "stretch" but 210.25 seems to support the call.
210.25 Branch Circuits in Buildings with More Than One Occupancy.
(A) Dwelling Unit Branch Circuits. Branch circuits in each dwelling unit shall supply only loads within that dwelling unit or loads associated only with that dwelling unit.

C3PO

One rec can come off of the "common panel" or if there is not one then a rec from each tenant space. 210.25 doesn't excatly say that but that is how I handle it.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I don't have my code book handy. But I believe that there are two requirements that come into play. One is that there be a receptacle within 25 feet of an HVAC unit. You have three units, but only one receptacle. I think that is OK. The other requirement (and I may be completely wrong about this one) is that branch circuits powered from one tenant's panel cannot supply loads related to another tenant. I think this installation passes the first test, and fails the second.

480sparky

I don't have my code book handy. But I believe that there are two requirements that come into play. One is that there be a receptacle within 25 feet of an HVAC unit. You have three units, but only one receptacle. I think that is OK. The other requirement (and I may be completely wrong about this one) is that branch circuits powered from one tenant's panel cannot supply loads related to another tenant. I think this installation passes the first test, and fails the second.

210.63 Heating, Air-Conditioning, and Refrigeration Equipment Outlet.
A 125-volt, single-phase, 15- or 20-ampere-rated receptacle outlet shall be installed at an accessible location for the servicing of heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle shall be located on the same level and within 7.5 m (25 ft) of the heating, air-conditioning, and refrigeration equipment. The receptacle outlet shall not be connected to the load side of the equipment disconnecting means.

210.25(B) Common Area Branch Circuits. Branch circuits required for the purpose of lighting, central alarm, signal, communications, or other needs for public or common areas of a two-family dwelling, a multifamily dwelling, or a multi-occupancy building shall not be supplied from equipment that supplies an individual dwelling unit or tenant space.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The inspector is requiring the receptacle to be powered off of the owner's panel not the tenant's. IMO according to 210.25(B) he's correct since it meets the test:

210.25(B) Common Area Branch Circuits. Branch circuits required for the purpose of lighting, central alarm, signal, communications, or other needs for public or common areas of a two-family dwelling, a multifamily dwelling, or a multi-occupancy building shall not be supplied from equipment that supplies an individual dwelling unit or tenant space.

Other needs-yes
Roof/Common area-yes
Multi-occupancy building-yes
Not be supplied from tenant space-yes

cowboyjwc

Staff member
While I'm not real sure that a roof would actually fall under the definition of "common area", I could see where you are coming from.

I know that this job is finished, but I've had several jobs where the EE speced a recept. at each unit. The local mall sepced a recept. and a service light at each unit.

Jim W in Tampa

So lets save money ,house next door has a receptacle and under 25 feet so we can skip putting in one. NOT. I come here for laughs sometimes. But gotta give credit for trying.

iMuse97

So lets save money ,house next door has a receptacle and under 25 feet so we can skip putting in one. NOT. I come here for laughs sometimes. But gotta give credit for trying.

Not so far-fetched, Jim. I was on an 8flat roof the other day replacing a compressor and the closest recept. was on the deck of the condo unit just below me, or on the roof of the next bldg over. Maybe, if I was younger, I'd have jumped the six feet from parapet to parapet, but I used the deck recept. since all the decks are accessible from the back stairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.