HVAC TEACHER AT UEI SHOULDNT BE TEACHING ELECTRICAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just walked out of class because our teacher was trying to tell the class that electricity was going to ground. I tried to explain to him that electricity was going back to the source. I started to play mike holts video on fundamentals and he told me to turn it off that it didnt mean anything. I told him thats why he is Hvac and left. Same problem i had at wyotech. Im almost thinking screw these trade schools and just doing venetian plaster(which Im extremely good at, looks and feels just like marble) theres just no money around here..@

MAC702

Context is everything.

He is teaching to HVAC people who will be pretty much using a grounded source.

There are plenty of ways to offer correction, too.

Besoeker

Context is everything.

He is teaching to HVAC people who will be pretty much using a grounded source.
There seems to constant confusion about that. The source may be grounded. The ground, i.e. earth, is a potential and not normally used as a conductor.

Besoeker

I just walked out of class because our teacher was trying to tell the class that electricity was going to ground. I tried to explain to him that electricity was going back to the source. I started to play mike holts video on fundamentals and he told me to turn it off that it didnt mean anything. I told him thats why he is Hvac and left. Same problem i had at wyotech. Im almost thinking screw these trade schools and just doing venetian plaster(which Im extremely good at, looks and feels just like marble) theres just no money around here..@
Understand your frustration. Chill!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
What am I in for? I have been asked to teach a class at a local community college tomorrow. I hope I don't get cussed out. Of course, I will be teaching electricity.

They have a great setup-- They have a foundation built for an 800 sq. ft building. The student frame, wire (that is part of what I will be teaching), plumb etc. When it is done the building is auctioned and they start all over again. Great idea, IMO...

Besoeker

What am I in for? I have been asked to teach a class at a local community college tomorrow. I hope I don't get cussed out. Of course, I will be teaching electricity.

They have a great setup-- They have a foundation built for an 800 sq. ft building. The student frame, wire (that is part of what I will be teaching), plumb etc. When it is done the building is auctioned and they start all over again. Great idea, IMO...
Sounds excellent!
I'm an old guy but I still get requests for training. It is usually specific to kit I have designed rather than general. The attendees normally have the fundamentals. Stuff I know I know but I still find it somewhat stressful. Preparation of course manuals. Then the safety lecture, required permits to work, the explanation of how the kit works, ratings, tests, protection.......etc. But it is satisfying if draining.

Good luck tomorrow.

MAC702

There seems to constant confusion about that. The source may be grounded. The ground, i.e. earth, is a potential and not normally used as a conductor.

Not on purpose, of course not; not sure where the confusion is. But that's irrelevant because electricity still wants to go there if you give it the opportunity. Seems very likely that was the context of the classroom.

We say "ground;" most of the planet says "earth," but we all still know we aren't talking about dirt, right?

Besoeker

Not on purpose, of course not; not sure where the confusion is. But that's irrelevant because electricity still wants to go there if you give it the opportunity.
Not really. I erroneously thought you might have understood that.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
As a general rule, the qualifications to teach at those for-profit "tech schools" (certificate mills) are exceedingly low, mostly because the pay is so low that they have a hard time finding people to teach. I know a contractor who got hurt and had to stop field work, so he got a job at WyoTech. He was making less than half of what he made in the field and had to teach the curriculum exactly as they wrote it. He quit in frustration because the curriculum was full of inaccuracies. About 6 months later they begged him to come back, but that was in the middle of the Corinthian College scandal where they lost Federal accreditation (Corinthian owns Wyotech) and started losing students.

Ingenieur

simmer down

for very elementary diagrams the source and load are shown as grounded at times
also done for not so elementary work
simplifies things

it's better to listen
you know technically the return path is not ground but to illustrate some basics it is useful
but by focusing on that you may have missed a relevant point he was trying to make

this is from a grad level course on power system analysis

Attachments

• 060273DD-FCF7-42AE-9A0E-01E273BB9CDF.jpg
    060273DD-FCF7-42AE-9A0E-01E273BB9CDF.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MAC702

simmer down

it's better to listen
you know technically the return path is not ground ...

Exactly.

The return path is not people, either, but electricity will use it if they put themselves between the ungrounded conductor and any kind of grounded path, be it a grounded conductor, EGC, bonded frame, etc.

Sounds like the teacher didn't get a chance to really make whatever point was coming.

mivey

simmer down

simplifies things

it's better to listen
you know technically the return path is not ground but to illustrate some basics it is useful
but by focusing on that you may have missed a relevant point he was trying to make

Not quite the same thing. Kinda like talking about a circuit board ground trace in this context. Just not the same discussion.

mivey

The return path is not people, either, but electricity will use it if they put themselves between the ungrounded conductor and any kind of grounded path, be it a grounded conductor, EGC, bonded frame, etc.
But who would say electricity is trying to get to people? :roll:

MAC702

But who would say electricity is trying to get to people? :roll:

No one I can see here, and doesn't really address the point.

Fact is, we don't know what the teacher was trying to say.

Saying "electricity wants to go to [electrical] ground" is a likely precursor to saying 'so don't be the part that lets it' or 'so that's why we sometimes have two conductors for it to do so: a purposeful one for some voltages, but always one for safety.'

Last edited:

MAC702

Not quite the same thing. Kinda like talking about a circuit board ground trace in this context. Just not the same discussion.

True, however, it does illustrate that [electrical] ground can be a "common" termination point. And that we don't mean each of those ground symbols is a rod in the dirt.

Ingenieur

pretty much exactly the same
in this case a 1 ph-g equivalent

without seeing his material we don't the context
could be static electricity or lightning

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
simmer down

simplifies things

it's better to listen

Thats a transmission line which in many cases does indeed factor in the earth in terms of fault clearing and relay settings (ie k0 factor)

http://www.relaytech.com/files/34789992.htm

Last edited:

mivey

If you want to lean to that understanding then that is fine. I disagree.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician

No its not.

2x 3/8HS steel, a metal tower going a dozen feet into the earth, 69,000 volts L-G and a vastly different OCPD system is at play vs 600 volts and under.

No matter what that diagram is not relevant to the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.