hw many wires under one staple

Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow

Hi evryone need to have question answerd. Me and another electrician started talking about stapleing romex 12/2 14/2 wire to studs joists and so fort i say you can put two wires from two separate circuits under one staple .he says you can only do that if itstwo wires from the same circuit.I have never herd that be fore who is right. thanks

ryan_618

Re: hw many wires under one staple

That concept is not addressed in the NEC. The only thing about staples would be dependant upon the staples listing, if listed (110.3(B)). I would follow the directions on the box of staples and not lose any sleep.

tonyi

Originally posted by shadow:
Hi evryone need to have question answerd. Me and another electrician started talking about stapleing romex 12/2 14/2 wire to studs joists and so fort i say you can put two wires from two separate circuits under one staple .he says you can only do that if itstwo wires from the same circuit.I have never herd that be fore who is right. thanks
A staple is just one of many possible securing methods. The code itself doesn't specify here, bet some labeling might.

I also think there can be bundling issues if things are stacked and bunched up too much.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Not an NEC issue. Normally the AHJ will allow two 2 wire cables to be held with one staple. Doesn't matter if they are on the same circuit or not.

G

I was also thinking there might be a bundling issue. If we tie-wrapped a whole panel full of branch circuits together and used a big 'ol staple to wham it down to the ceiling joist it would be a bundle. NM (#14, #12, #10) is already derated substantially. Would it have to be derated even further if it were wadded up under one humongous staple?

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC

Only if they are together continuously for 24 inches or more. A bunch of cables secured with one staple, a clamp or fed through a single hole doesn't count, even if it occurs several times in one run.

Status
Not open for further replies.