Hydromassage tub Code reference's please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinniem

Can anyone direct me to the code reference that requires the bonding of the hot water heater when installing a hydro massage tub?

Also if the tub has a front panel that is removable for servicing the interior parts of the tub, does that make the GFI receptacle you?re installing for the motor accessible?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Can you explain why you think that the hot water heater needs to be bonded?

Regarding the GFCI behind the removable panel would be considered accessible. We install them there when the HO doesn't want a faceless GFCI on the wall.

Vinniem

Trevor,

I felt the same way. I recently failed because of this.

I was told the outlet wasn't accesible and the water heater has to be bonded.

Thats why i thought I missed something

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
680.74 is for the required bonding of the pump to the piping that contains the recirculating water. Typically this piping is plastic so no bonding is required. This doesn't apply to the hot and cold water that comes out of the faucet to fill the tub. Sounds like the hot water heater bonding is a separate issue unrelated to the tub.

celtic

Vinniem said:
Can anyone direct me to the code reference that requires the bonding of the hot water heater when installing a hydro massage tub?
Part VII of 680 is Hydro-massage tubs
608.74 addresses bonding

Vinniem said:
Also if the tub has a front panel that is removable for servicing the interior parts of the tub, does that make the GFI receptacle you?re installing for the motor accessible?
infinity said:
Regarding the GFCI behind the removable panel would be considered accessible.
Vinniem said:
I was told the outlet wasn't accesible
Article 100 defines "accessible".
Accessible (as applied to wiring methods). Capable of being removed or exposed without damaging the building structure or finish or not permanently closed in by the structure or finish of the building.
If we followed the EI's take on "accessible""...EVERY house would fail in the kitchen (refirg, DW, GD, MW/RH), the LR (couch, TV), BdRm(Bed, night stands)...etc.

What town was this in Vinnie?

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
infinity said:
680.74 is for the required bonding of the pump to the piping that contains the recirculating water. Typically this piping is plastic so no bonding is required. This doesn't apply to the hot and cold water that comes out of the faucet to fill the tub. Sounds like the hot water heater bonding is a separate issue unrelated to the tub.

If the water heater is heating the circulating water and has metal in contact with the water (heating element?), the heater needs to be bonded together with all metal piping systems and all grounded metal parts in contact with the circulating water. Some of the units I've installed have the heater and pump already bonded together from the manufacturer.

I am assuming that the hot water heater is a seperate componant of the tub and not the actual house hot water heater

Last edited:

celtic

benmin said:
I am assuming that the hot water heater is a seperate componant of the tub and not the actual house hot water heater
I'm thinking the opposite - it IS the house's H20 heater.
This topic has been debated here enough, so let's move on ;)

If the tub is a jacuzzi, this is a typical heater:
S750.jpg

http://www.plumbersurplus.com/pdf/05152.pdf

...a bond would be required as per page 2:
With the #8 solid copper wire provided, bond the heater as per approved local bonding codes. A bonding lug is provided on the heater.

You can see the lug on the bottom of the unit.

celtic

emahler said:
Darn bully with a pocket protector....you wouldn't be so tough without that pocket protector....

I might be tougher...less chance that I poke my own eye out :D

benmin

Occupation
Master Electrician
celtic said:
Feel free to continue the debate here:

never was a debate here (with you). Just a matter of what water heater the OP was talking about.

I have heard it is good to get the last word with you

emahler

benmin said:
never was a debate here (with you). Just a matter of what water heater the OP was talking about.

I have heard it is good to get the last word with you

damn pocket protector and coke bottles glasses wearing bully he is:D

satcom

benmin said:
If that is the case, it makes no sense electrically

Try 250.104 We Bond the hot water heater for safety, and that is most likely what the inspector is looking for. It may be an older home, that never had the bond on the hot water heater, so the inspector wants it installed.

The access can be a problem. when a homeowner encloses everything leaving no access, or it can't be reached from the access opening.

Last edited:

emahler

could be satcom, but if this was an existing house and all they did was add the tub, then how can the inspector fail them for not bonding the water heater?

if they did a service upgrade, or a panel change, yep...gotta bring all grounding up to code. but a tub installation?

I don't know for sure what town he is referring to, but I have my suspicions. He's in my neck of the woods and we have some warped inspectors this way.

satcom

emahler said:
could be satcom, but if this was an existing house and all they did was add the tub, then how can the inspector fail them for not bonding the water heater?

if they did a service upgrade, or a panel change, yep...gotta bring all grounding up to code. but a tub installation?

I don't know for sure what town he is referring to, but I have my suspicions. He's in my neck of the woods and we have some warped inspectors this way.

He opened a permit for the tub, the inspector IMO is correct in requiring the water pipe bonding be brought up to date.

If it was me, I would check the water meter bonding, and look at all the other grounding and bonding connections. Clean them up if they need it.

The safety of that tub installation depends on good bonding. IMO the warped inspector, would be the one that let it slide.

Last edited:

emahler

satcom said:
He opened a permit for the tub, the inspector IMO is correct in requiring the water pipe bonding be brought up to date.

If it was me, I would check the water meter bonding, and look at all the other grounding and bonding connections.

The safety of that tub installation depends on good bonding.

as long as he bonds the hot and cold to the motor at the tub, he's got a good bond.

I still think the inspector is out of line. In addition to the issue with the GFCI receptacle under the tub. So long as it's by the opening and can be worked on if needed.

satcom

emahler said:
as long as he bonds the hot and cold to the motor at the tub, he's got a good bond.

I still think the inspector is out of line. In addition to the issue with the GFCI receptacle under the tub. So long as it's by the opening and can be worked on if needed.

I am glad to see we have something that we don't agree on, I make it my business to check all the connections, in the bonding and grounding system, and clean them up if necessary, when ever I install any equipment where personal safety is a concern. Not a code requirement but just good way of doing things.

Having the hot and cold piping bond at the tub being my primary hot water pipe bond is not my idea of good system bonding.

Status
Not open for further replies.