I am having trouble locating a C1D1 Part>

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsmithgb

Can anyone help with finding a part number or point me in the right direction for a hazardous location- Class 1 Div 1 -90 degree seal-off for 3/4" rigid? I am reworking an incorrect installation of an outside light above a door. Inside the door is Class 1 Div 1. The pipe is in the classified area, running along the same wall as the door, and right now there is just an Explosion proof rated LB that has a nipple, penetrating through the wall into an unclassified area (outside) directly into the light. I would greatly prefer to put me seal inside, so that I don't have the light sticking off the wall like a sore thumb. The only solution I can come up with, is a 90 degree seal-off on the inside (in place of the LB), but I cannot find such a creature. I have seen one before, but now that I need it, I cannot find anyone that can help me.
Can anyone help me? Or even, maybe, suggest a possible alternative that would suffice and comply. Thanks.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Nakulak's answer is about as good as you will get. It will probably do the job you described, but remember it is only a 3/4", 25% fill fitting.

KentAT

Couldn't he use a Crouse-Hinds GUA sealing cover on a GUAL 90 deg box as long as there are no splices in the box?

(And if the area is Class 1, Div I, group C or D)

PagesfromC-HoutletboxesGUAetc4F.jpg

Kent

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
A GUAB would work too; although used as a seal fitting, it would have the same fill limitations and be considerably more bulky. On the other hand, it would have more "trade size" and mounting orientation options. I just prefered the elbow EYS for "compactness" in this particular application.

In both cases, it would be judicious to create an area classification "detail" as part of Section 500.4(A) requirements to clarify the exact Division 1 boundary with respect to the fitting; especially if the GUAB body is flush with the wall. (I don't see the elbow EYS being mounted flush) Necessary? Probably not, but it would show you actually thought about the wall penetration itself and the possible effect of creating a small Division 2 "bubble" (and a new boundary) on the wall's exterior around the penetration.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.