I can see the homeowner at the store now:

Status
Not open for further replies.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I redid (under permit) a DYI job, 1/2 emt to handy boxes on a workbench. 14 awg on a 30 A breaker, loose diecast compression connectors and no egc Lights were 8ft ho wired with carflex and no egc.
Carflex and pvc a handymans dream products.
Did you know you can buy premade PVC box offsets at your big box?
It doesn’t necessarily mean handyman or diy, I went behind a contractor that loved putting in 30 amp sp breakers. Real easy to spot his jobs. One job he ran 14-2 to a water heater, noticed the brown romex color was unusual, so when I checked it, I knew why! LOL! I was there originally to fix a bunch of receptacles that were shorting out when something was plugged in. He had used shallow UT boxes on a furred out block wall. He finally lost his license when somebody filed a lawsuit against him for putting 30 amp breakers in their panel.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
"I wanna put one of those $6 lights you got on sale in my basement."

Dork working at the hardware store: "Sure. Just take this wire here (pulls out a roll of 14/3NM), run yer power to this here box (grabs a handi-box), put a recepiccle innit (hands the customer a duplex and cover), then runs yer power down to yer switch. Easy Peasy!"

....customer nods, knowing full well he didn't grasp the concept.....

And the result is......!:

View attachment 2553457
I hear this alot.
I don't understand your issue with it? It's worked for 20 years.;)

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
And 220 volt wire....

This is my favorite even among others in building trades. My reply, "No we don't have 220v wire but we have 600v and 300v, what soze circuit do you want? "

When I started out, I worked part time in a big box in 1999 -2000. First week on the job I had a customer that was doing a 200a service with the service disconnect outside. I needed to get the customer 4/0 SER but we only had SEU. I sent the customer to the supply house and then asked my department manager where the 4/0 SER was. Ill never forget. He was stocking shelves on a ladder and looked at me like I was nuts and he said "NO" So I asked "Why?" reply...." Ever see a 200 amp sub panel before?....." :rolleyes: I was 22 and from that point I knew what I was dealing with.

kwired

Electron manager
This is my favorite even among others in building trades. My reply, "No we don't have 220v wire but we have 600v and 300v, what soze circuit do you want? "

When I started out, I worked part time in a big box in 1999 -2000. First week on the job I had a customer that was doing a 200a service with the service disconnect outside. I needed to get the customer 4/0 SER but we only had SEU. I sent the customer to the supply house and then asked my department manager where the 4/0 SER was. Ill never forget. He was stocking shelves on a ladder and looked at me like I was nuts and he said "NO" So I asked "Why?" reply...." Ever see a 200 amp sub panel before?....." :rolleyes: I was 22 and from that point I knew what I was dealing with.
I a little surprised he even knew you might need that if you were installing the sub panel.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
It's not my issue. It'll be the city rental inspector who will be here to issue a rental certificate.

I don't mind this stuff one bit. I make good money fixing them.

Who pays the bill in a case such as this?

Jap>

Status
Not open for further replies.