I do install outlets and switches for a living living

Status
Not open for further replies.

sylveme

Occupation
Handy woman
Dear action Dave, I can appreciate your position however I do install these for a living. My name is Sylvia Leon I own Handy Mandy SD a handyman business in La Mesa California and I've owned it for 6 years now however I've been doing handyman work for 20 plus years. I've probably installed more than 100 outlets and switches in my lifetime. I work with electricity in homes very often and I am extremely careful and so have never been shocked harmed and none of my work has ever been recalled because of some problem. When I discovered I had aluminum wiring I learned everything I could so that I could mitigate the chance of a fire happening in my home. But nowhere does it tell me what I should do in this situation should I just leave well enough alone or should I switch out so that I have aluminum switches connected to aluminum wire. Tell you the truth I think they would both work but I was just wondering if somebody could push me in one direction or the other and give me a good reason why I should go that in that direction. That's all I wanted to know.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator & NEC Expert
Staff member
Occupation
Master Electrician
When you replace a receptacle (not outlet) do you install AFCI, GFCI, TR or WR as required by the 2014 NEC?
The 2014 NEC requires a receptacle being replaced in a dwelling to be of a type as required in the current code, no grandfathering. For example receptacles in a Living Room would be AFCI/TR, kitchens AFCI/GFCI/TR..,,
Do you install switches with a grounding yoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.