I got a call a Dayton 9 x 16" band saw mod. AYG31

Status
Not open for further replies.

malachi

It had stopped working. There hand had been tinkering with it. He tells me he smoked the transformer, it is a G.D.M. Transformer 115v in from what I can tell 115v control voltage out. I try picking up my control voltage from the line side the starter chatters, machine guns. I need help.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
It had stopped working. There hand had been tinkering with it. He tells me he smoked the transformer, it is a G.D.M. Transformer 115v in from what I can tell 115v control voltage out. I try picking up my control voltage from the line side the starter chatters, machine guns. I need help.

That part number doesn’t come up, but Dayton changes numbers a lot because they change sources (Dayton is just a brand name for Grainger). So try to describe the problem in more detail. Lots of people here have lots of experience and may be able to help, but you have to help us help you.

And from your other (now closed) thread, you can’t post pdf files off of your hard drive, only graphic images. If you know where you downloaded that pdf from you can post a link to it and we can download it from the same place.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
The most-common reason for chatter is voltage drop.
If the motor draws excessive starting current, or the power supply isn't stiff enough, the voltage at the motor-starting relay can drop to the point where the relay lets go. When the relay switches the motor off, the voltage recovers and the relay can pull in again. Then the voltage drops again ...

It's easy enough to diagnose -- just measure the voltage on the motor-starting relay. You'll need something that can detect transients, either a voltmeter with a fast update rate, with a min-max function, or an analog voltmeter. If the voltage drop is severe enough to let the relay let go, an incandescent lightbulb will probably tell you what you need to know.

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
Supporting a customer complaining of hydraulic valve chattering ... turns out he had moved his plant from a location with 240-3-60 to one with 208-3-60 and not changed control transformer taps ... 5 minutes to resolve THAT problem.

He also had resistive heaters ... had to get an electrician, not a electrohydraulics guy, to put the boost transformers in.

Status
Not open for further replies.