I have a grounding bonding quest Can I bond a gas line to a metal building that is a bonded

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCelectricity

Occupation
Electrician
Can I use a metal building that is bonded at one side where the panel is and bond the gas line at the other side? Or do I have to run a separate piece of copper 150 ft ?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Can I use a metal building that is bonded at one side where the panel is and bond the gas line at the other side? Or do I have to run a separate piece of copper 150 ft ?
as I understand things, you don't normally have to make any special bond to a regular gas line. the egc is adequate.

if you need to make a bond to csst though, you have to make it from the grounding electrode system to where ever the gas line enters the building. I don't believe the building steel can be used as part of this bonding connection.

DCelectricity

Occupation
Electrician
as I understand things, you don't normally have to make any special bond to a regular gas line. the egc is adequate.

if you need to make a bond to csst though, you have to make it from the grounding electrode system to where ever the gas line enters the building. I don't believe the building steel can be used as part of this bonding connection.
Thank you

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
Is the building steel being used as electrode and part of the electrode system.

If so I would think a bonding jumper to the other metal piping would be ok as long as it meets 250.104

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Some AHJs may consider appliance EGCs to be adequate and some may not. I worked in a couple where they did not. Also note some gas appliances (pilot light furnaces and water heaters, for example) don't have EGCs.

Buck Parrish

Like Pete said it's the CSST that requires it to go back to the service. It's in the CSST Code book not ours, or at least it wasn't.
But regular gas line is usually fine, like Jag said, by using the egc to the furnace, water heater or other gas appliance.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
What size conductor would be used on a gas line bond as it cannot be used as a GE so would bonding wire only be required to be sized to that which could possibly energize it, not the GEC?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
What size conductor would be used on a gas line bond as it cannot be used as a GE so would bonding wire only be required to be sized to that which could possibly energize it, not the GEC?
If it is csst the bond is supposed to reduce the risk of pinholes developing from nearby lightning strikes. I gather there is a type of csst that is now made that is not susceptible to this problem.

Most cases, I am told there is a dielectric fitting at the gas meter so there is no electrical connection between the gas pipe entering your house and the gas meter or whatever pipe is feeding the meter.

Otherwise, the circuit egc that accompanies whatever might energize a gas line is adequate for clearing faults.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Otherwise, the circuit egc that accompanies whatever might energize a gas line is adequate for clearing faults.
That takes care of the appliance side of the CSST, which is why bonding the source side effectively bypasses the CSST.

It is my understanding that bare or yellow-jacketed CSST requires bonding around, but black-jacketed CSST does not.

jaggedben

Occupation
It should be sized by 250.122 based on the OCPD for the circuit 'likely to energize' the piping. See 250.104(B), 2020 NEC reference.

jaggedben

Occupation
Some AHJs may treat that as the largest circuit serving a gas appliance and others my treat it as the largest circuit on the premises.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
#6 cu is the only size I've ever used or heard of.

Status
Not open for further replies.