I have a question about what is included in a standard load calc for a duplex

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been studying for Wa state 01 admin test, I failed it the first time. I have been reading all the threads here for info. My question is this: Since a duplex is not considered a multifamily dwelling when you do the standard load calc do you double the small appliance and laundry circuit or do you just count it once, like the 25% for the largest motor?

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Small appliance loads are 2 minimum per unit, period... doesn't matter how many units.

Laundry is always 1 minimum in one-family dwellings. In two- or multi-family dwellings it's either 1 minimum, or none, per unit. On the surface, that doesn't make much sense :roll::cool:. Refer to the exceptions of 210.52(F)...

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
The thing you need to watch carefully, as you read the test questions, is whether they are asking you to size the feeder to a single unit, or whether they are asking you to size the service to the duplex as a whole. Those are separate calculations, and you might be asked for both answers.

For a single unit's feeder, you account for 2 SA circuits, and that 3,000 VA is what goes into the demand factors of Table 220.42. For the service to the duplex, you account for 4 SA circuits, and the total of 6,000 VA is inclulded in what you use, when you look at Table 220.42.

Good luck with the test. I failed my first time as well, but passed the second time (over 8 years ago).

thanks for the input

thanks for the input

Thanks for the input. I wish I had found this forum before I took it the first time. I actually have taken it twice but the second time the computer froze up on me and I got to reschedule. Both tests (10 questions each) had 2 questions on each of them, probably because they fall in a somewhat ambiguous area. I have found similar if not exact questions on this forum but most of them were not done right. Never the less they have helped me in this area. I have Mike Holts and the other guys books (Tom H) and both of them miss this particular calculation.

Status
Not open for further replies.