I heard somthing about paddle fans today...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ultramegabob

I was at a lighting salon today picking up a few things, and the counter guy told me that all paddle fans that have light kits will only have candelabra based lamps on them. It seems that people tend to install lamps that are higher wattage than what the fixture is rated for (usually 60 watts), so they no longer manufacture medium base kits for fans, max size for candelabra base is 60 watts. Personally, I think candelabras suck....

dhducati

ultramegabob said:
I was at a lighting salon today picking up a few things, and the counter guy told me that all paddle fans that have light kits will only have candelabra based lamps on them. It seems that people tend to install lamps that are higher wattage than what the fixture is rated for (usually 60 watts), so they no longer manufacture medium base kits for fans, max size for candelabra base is 60 watts. Personally, I think candelabras suck....

I haven't seen a paddle fan made since Jan '07 that takes medium base bulbs (although I'm lucky enough to find some older stock from time to time). They're all intermediate base, candelabra, or some type of non-screw fluorescent. Same with add-on light kits. When I asked a sales guy about it, he said that the great state of CA had limited where medium base bulbs could be used in new houses, and that most manufacturers had adjusted accordingly. I don't know how true this is, given that it hasn't affected any other types of lighting that I've noticed.

I also noticed that a federal law prohibiting the manufacture or import of mercury vapour ballasts/fixtures came into effect Jan '08.

Dave

ultramegabob

I dont do alot of residential, so I didnt know they were phaseing out medium base bulbs, I hang ceiling fans in resturaunts, and they are usually fan only installations, so I just throw the light kits away if they have them, never really paid attention to what size bases they took....

peter d

dhducati said:
I also noticed that a federal law prohibiting the manufacture or import of mercury vapour ballasts/fixtures came into effect Jan '08.

It's about time. I don't think there is a more inefficient and horrible source of light than MV. Amazingly I still see some old MV street lights still operating from time to time. Why they haven't been replaced is beyond me. :confused:

sandsnow

peter d said:
It's about time. I don't think there is a more inefficient and horrible source of light than MV. Amazingly I still see some old MV street lights still operating from time to time. Why they haven't been replaced is beyond me. :confused:

As far as horrible goes, I guess you have not seen Low Pressure sodium. On the other hand it is the most effecient.

peter d

sandsnow said:
As far as horrible goes, I guess you have not seen Low Pressure sodium. On the other hand it is the most effecient.

Oh, I have. It's horrible. :) But out of thousands of streetlights here I can count the LPS ones on two hands and two feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.